Subject: CVE-2024-36005: netfilter: nf_tables: honor table dormant flag from netdev release event path

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

netfilter: nf_tables: honor table dormant flag from netdev release event path

Check for table dormant flag otherwise netdev release event path tries
to unregister an already unregistered hook.

[524854.857999] ------------[ cut here ]------------
[524854.858010] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 3386599 at net/netfilter/core.c:501 __nf_unregister_net_hook+0x21a/0x260
[...]
[524854.858848] CPU: 0 PID: 3386599 Comm: kworker/u32:2 Not tainted 6.9.0-rc3+ #365
[524854.858869] Workqueue: netns cleanup_net
[524854.858886] RIP: 0010:__nf_unregister_net_hook+0x21a/0x260
[524854.858903] Code: 24 e8 aa 73 83 ff 48 63 43 1c 83 f8 01 0f 85 3d ff ff ff e8 98 d1 f0 ff 48 8b 3c 24 e8 8f 73 83 ff 48 63 43 1c e9 26 ff ff ff <0f> 0b 48 83 c4 18 48 c7 c7 00 68 e9 82 5b 5d 41 5c 41 5d 41 5e 41
[524854.858914] RSP: 0018:ffff8881e36d79e0 EFLAGS: 00010246
[524854.858926] RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffff8881339ae790 RCX: ffffffff81ba524a
[524854.858936] RDX: dffffc0000000000 RSI: 0000000000000008 RDI: ffff8881c8a16438
[524854.858945] RBP: ffff8881c8a16438 R08: 0000000000000001 R09: ffffed103c6daf34
[524854.858954] R10: ffff8881e36d79a7 R11: 0000000000000000 R12: 0000000000000005
[524854.858962] R13: ffff8881c8a16000 R14: 0000000000000000 R15: ffff8881351b5a00
[524854.858971] FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff888390800000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
[524854.858982] CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
[524854.858991] CR2: 00007fc9be0f16f4 CR3: 00000001437cc004 CR4: 00000000001706f0
[524854.859000] Call Trace:
[524854.859006]  <TASK>
[524854.859013]  ? __warn+0x9f/0x1a0
[524854.859027]  ? __nf_unregister_net_hook+0x21a/0x260
[524854.859044]  ? report_bug+0x1b1/0x1e0
[524854.859060]  ? handle_bug+0x3c/0x70
[524854.859071]  ? exc_invalid_op+0x17/0x40
[524854.859083]  ? asm_exc_invalid_op+0x1a/0x20
[524854.859100]  ? __nf_unregister_net_hook+0x6a/0x260
[524854.859116]  ? __nf_unregister_net_hook+0x21a/0x260
[524854.859135]  nf_tables_netdev_event+0x337/0x390 [nf_tables]
[524854.859304]  ? __pfx_nf_tables_netdev_event+0x10/0x10 [nf_tables]
[524854.859461]  ? packet_notifier+0xb3/0x360
[524854.859476]  ? _raw_spin_unlock_irqrestore+0x11/0x40
[524854.859489]  ? dcbnl_netdevice_event+0x35/0x140
[524854.859507]  ? __pfx_nf_tables_netdev_event+0x10/0x10 [nf_tables]
[524854.859661]  notifier_call_chain+0x7d/0x140
[524854.859677]  unregister_netdevice_many_notify+0x5e1/0xae0

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36005 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.5 with commit d54725cd11a5 and fixed in 5.10.216 with commit e4bb6da24de3
	Issue introduced in 5.5 with commit d54725cd11a5 and fixed in 5.15.158 with commit 5c45feb3c288
	Issue introduced in 5.5 with commit d54725cd11a5 and fixed in 6.1.90 with commit 13ba94f6cc82
	Issue introduced in 5.5 with commit d54725cd11a5 and fixed in 6.6.30 with commit 8260c980aee7
	Issue introduced in 5.5 with commit d54725cd11a5 and fixed in 6.8.9 with commit ca34c40d1c22
	Issue introduced in 5.5 with commit d54725cd11a5 and fixed in 6.9 with commit 8e30abc9ace4

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36005
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/netfilter/nft_chain_filter.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e4bb6da24de336a7899033a65490ed2d892efa5b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5c45feb3c288cf44a529e2657b36c259d86497d2
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/13ba94f6cc820fdea15efeaa17d4c722874eebf9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8260c980aee7d8d8a3db39faf19c391d2f898816
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ca34c40d1c22c555fa7f4a21a1c807fea7290a0a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8e30abc9ace4f0add4cd761dfdbfaebae5632dd2