Subject: CVE-2022-49007: nilfs2: fix NULL pointer dereference in nilfs_palloc_commit_free_entry()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

nilfs2: fix NULL pointer dereference in nilfs_palloc_commit_free_entry()

Syzbot reported a null-ptr-deref bug:

 NILFS (loop0): segctord starting. Construction interval = 5 seconds, CP
 frequency < 30 seconds
 general protection fault, probably for non-canonical address
 0xdffffc0000000002: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP KASAN
 KASAN: null-ptr-deref in range [0x0000000000000010-0x0000000000000017]
 CPU: 1 PID: 3603 Comm: segctord Not tainted
 6.1.0-rc2-syzkaller-00105-gb229b6ca5abb #0
 Hardware name: Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google
 10/11/2022
 RIP: 0010:nilfs_palloc_commit_free_entry+0xe5/0x6b0
 fs/nilfs2/alloc.c:608
 Code: 00 00 00 00 fc ff df 80 3c 02 00 0f 85 cd 05 00 00 48 b8 00 00 00
 00 00 fc ff df 4c 8b 73 08 49 8d 7e 10 48 89 fa 48 c1 ea 03 <80> 3c 02
 00 0f 85 26 05 00 00 49 8b 46 10 be a6 00 00 00 48 c7 c7
 RSP: 0018:ffffc90003dff830 EFLAGS: 00010212
 RAX: dffffc0000000000 RBX: ffff88802594e218 RCX: 000000000000000d
 RDX: 0000000000000002 RSI: 0000000000002000 RDI: 0000000000000010
 RBP: ffff888071880222 R08: 0000000000000005 R09: 000000000000003f
 R10: 000000000000000d R11: 0000000000000000 R12: ffff888071880158
 R13: ffff88802594e220 R14: 0000000000000000 R15: 0000000000000004
 FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff8880b9b00000(0000)
 knlGS:0000000000000000
 CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
 CR2: 00007fb1c08316a8 CR3: 0000000018560000 CR4: 0000000000350ee0
 Call Trace:
  <TASK>
  nilfs_dat_commit_free fs/nilfs2/dat.c:114 [inline]
  nilfs_dat_commit_end+0x464/0x5f0 fs/nilfs2/dat.c:193
  nilfs_dat_commit_update+0x26/0x40 fs/nilfs2/dat.c:236
  nilfs_btree_commit_update_v+0x87/0x4a0 fs/nilfs2/btree.c:1940
  nilfs_btree_commit_propagate_v fs/nilfs2/btree.c:2016 [inline]
  nilfs_btree_propagate_v fs/nilfs2/btree.c:2046 [inline]
  nilfs_btree_propagate+0xa00/0xd60 fs/nilfs2/btree.c:2088
  nilfs_bmap_propagate+0x73/0x170 fs/nilfs2/bmap.c:337
  nilfs_collect_file_data+0x45/0xd0 fs/nilfs2/segment.c:568
  nilfs_segctor_apply_buffers+0x14a/0x470 fs/nilfs2/segment.c:1018
  nilfs_segctor_scan_file+0x3f4/0x6f0 fs/nilfs2/segment.c:1067
  nilfs_segctor_collect_blocks fs/nilfs2/segment.c:1197 [inline]
  nilfs_segctor_collect fs/nilfs2/segment.c:1503 [inline]
  nilfs_segctor_do_construct+0x12fc/0x6af0 fs/nilfs2/segment.c:2045
  nilfs_segctor_construct+0x8e3/0xb30 fs/nilfs2/segment.c:2379
  nilfs_segctor_thread_construct fs/nilfs2/segment.c:2487 [inline]
  nilfs_segctor_thread+0x3c3/0xf30 fs/nilfs2/segment.c:2570
  kthread+0x2e4/0x3a0 kernel/kthread.c:376
  ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:306
  </TASK>
 ...

If DAT metadata file is corrupted on disk, there is a case where
req->pr_desc_bh is NULL and blocknr is 0 at nilfs_dat_commit_end() during
a b-tree operation that cascadingly updates ancestor nodes of the b-tree,
because nilfs_dat_commit_alloc() for a lower level block can initialize
the blocknr on the same DAT entry between nilfs_dat_prepare_end() and
nilfs_dat_commit_end().

If this happens, nilfs_dat_commit_end() calls nilfs_dat_commit_free()
without valid buffer heads in req->pr_desc_bh and req->pr_bitmap_bh, and
causes the NULL pointer dereference above in
nilfs_palloc_commit_free_entry() function, which leads to a crash.

Fix this by adding a NULL check on req->pr_desc_bh and req->pr_bitmap_bh
before nilfs_palloc_commit_free_entry() in nilfs_dat_commit_free().

This also calls nilfs_error() in that case to notify that there is a fatal
flaw in the filesystem metadata and prevent further operations.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2022-49007 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 4.9.335 with commit 2f2c59506ae3
	Fixed in 4.14.301 with commit 165c7a3b27a3
	Fixed in 4.19.268 with commit bc3fd3293887
	Fixed in 5.4.226 with commit 9a130b72e6bd
	Fixed in 5.10.158 with commit e858917ab785
	Fixed in 5.15.82 with commit 33021419fd81
	Fixed in 6.0.12 with commit 381b84f60e54
	Fixed in 6.1 with commit f0a0ccda18d6

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2022-49007
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/nilfs2/dat.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2f2c59506ae39496588ceb8b88bdbdbaed895d63
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/165c7a3b27a3857ebf57f626b9f38b48b6792e68
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/bc3fd3293887b4cf84a9109700faeb82de533c89
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9a130b72e6bd1fb07fc3cde839dc6fb53da76f07
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e858917ab785afe83c14f5ac141301216ccda847
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/33021419fd81efd3d729a7f19341ba4b98fe66ce
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/381b84f60e549ea98cec4666c6c728b1b3318756
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f0a0ccda18d6fd826d7c7e7ad48a6ed61c20f8b4