Subject: CVE-2022-48983: io_uring: Fix a null-ptr-deref in io_tctx_exit_cb()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

io_uring: Fix a null-ptr-deref in io_tctx_exit_cb()

Syzkaller reports a NULL deref bug as follows:

 BUG: KASAN: null-ptr-deref in io_tctx_exit_cb+0x53/0xd3
 Read of size 4 at addr 0000000000000138 by task file1/1955

 CPU: 1 PID: 1955 Comm: file1 Not tainted 6.1.0-rc7-00103-gef4d3ea40565 #75
 Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS 1.11.0-2.el7 04/01/2014
 Call Trace:
  <TASK>
  dump_stack_lvl+0xcd/0x134
  ? io_tctx_exit_cb+0x53/0xd3
  kasan_report+0xbb/0x1f0
  ? io_tctx_exit_cb+0x53/0xd3
  kasan_check_range+0x140/0x190
  io_tctx_exit_cb+0x53/0xd3
  task_work_run+0x164/0x250
  ? task_work_cancel+0x30/0x30
  get_signal+0x1c3/0x2440
  ? lock_downgrade+0x6e0/0x6e0
  ? lock_downgrade+0x6e0/0x6e0
  ? exit_signals+0x8b0/0x8b0
  ? do_raw_read_unlock+0x3b/0x70
  ? do_raw_spin_unlock+0x50/0x230
  arch_do_signal_or_restart+0x82/0x2470
  ? kmem_cache_free+0x260/0x4b0
  ? putname+0xfe/0x140
  ? get_sigframe_size+0x10/0x10
  ? do_execveat_common.isra.0+0x226/0x710
  ? lockdep_hardirqs_on+0x79/0x100
  ? putname+0xfe/0x140
  ? do_execveat_common.isra.0+0x238/0x710
  exit_to_user_mode_prepare+0x15f/0x250
  syscall_exit_to_user_mode+0x19/0x50
  do_syscall_64+0x42/0xb0
  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x63/0xcd
 RIP: 0023:0x0
 Code: Unable to access opcode bytes at 0xffffffffffffffd6.
 RSP: 002b:00000000fffb7790 EFLAGS: 00000200 ORIG_RAX: 000000000000000b
 RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: 0000000000000000 RCX: 0000000000000000
 RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: 0000000000000000 RDI: 0000000000000000
 RBP: 0000000000000000 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
 R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000000 R12: 0000000000000000
 R13: 0000000000000000 R14: 0000000000000000 R15: 0000000000000000
  </TASK>
 Kernel panic - not syncing: panic_on_warn set ...

This happens because the adding of task_work from io_ring_exit_work()
isn't synchronized with canceling all work items from eg exec. The
execution of the two are ordered in that they are both run by the task
itself, but if io_tctx_exit_cb() is queued while we're canceling all
work items off exec AND gets executed when the task exits to userspace
rather than in the main loop in io_uring_cancel_generic(), then we can
find current->io_uring == NULL and hit the above crash.

It's safe to add this NULL check here, because the execution of the two
paths are done by the task itself.

[axboe: add code comment and also put an explanation in the commit msg]

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2022-48983 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit d56d938b4bef and fixed in 5.15.83 with commit f895511de9d2
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit d56d938b4bef and fixed in 6.0.13 with commit d91edca19434
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit d56d938b4bef and fixed in 6.1 with commit 998b30c3948e

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2022-48983
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	io_uring/io_uring.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f895511de9d27fff71dad2c234ad53b4afd2b06c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d91edca1943453aaaba4f380f6f364346222e5cf
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/998b30c3948e4d0b1097e639918c5cff332acac5