Subject: CVE-2022-48980: net: dsa: sja1105: avoid out of bounds access in sja1105_init_l2_policing()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: dsa: sja1105: avoid out of bounds access in sja1105_init_l2_policing()

The SJA1105 family has 45 L2 policing table entries
(SJA1105_MAX_L2_POLICING_COUNT) and SJA1110 has 110
(SJA1110_MAX_L2_POLICING_COUNT). Keeping the table structure but
accounting for the difference in port count (5 in SJA1105 vs 10 in
SJA1110) does not fully explain the difference. Rather, the SJA1110 also
has L2 ingress policers for multicast traffic. If a packet is classified
as multicast, it will be processed by the policer index 99 + SRCPORT.

The sja1105_init_l2_policing() function initializes all L2 policers such
that they don't interfere with normal packet reception by default. To have
a common code between SJA1105 and SJA1110, the index of the multicast
policer for the port is calculated because it's an index that is out of
bounds for SJA1105 but in bounds for SJA1110, and a bounds check is
performed.

The code fails to do the proper thing when determining what to do with the
multicast policer of port 0 on SJA1105 (ds->num_ports = 5). The "mcast"
index will be equal to 45, which is also equal to
table->ops->max_entry_count (SJA1105_MAX_L2_POLICING_COUNT). So it passes
through the check. But at the same time, SJA1105 doesn't have multicast
policers. So the code programs the SHARINDX field of an out-of-bounds
element in the L2 Policing table of the static config.

The comparison between index 45 and 45 entries should have determined the
code to not access this policer index on SJA1105, since its memory wasn't
even allocated.

With enough bad luck, the out-of-bounds write could even overwrite other
valid kernel data, but in this case, the issue was detected using KASAN.

Kernel log:

sja1105 spi5.0: Probed switch chip: SJA1105Q
==================================================================
BUG: KASAN: slab-out-of-bounds in sja1105_setup+0x1cbc/0x2340
Write of size 8 at addr ffffff880bd57708 by task kworker/u8:0/8
...
Workqueue: events_unbound deferred_probe_work_func
Call trace:
...
sja1105_setup+0x1cbc/0x2340
dsa_register_switch+0x1284/0x18d0
sja1105_probe+0x748/0x840
...
Allocated by task 8:
...
sja1105_setup+0x1bcc/0x2340
dsa_register_switch+0x1284/0x18d0
sja1105_probe+0x748/0x840
...

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2022-48980 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit 38fbe91f2287 and fixed in 5.15.83 with commit 5e88c6f4aaa7
	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit 38fbe91f2287 and fixed in 6.0.13 with commit 147f3e3d8405
	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit 38fbe91f2287 and fixed in 6.1 with commit f8bac7f9fdb0

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2022-48980
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/dsa/sja1105/sja1105_main.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5e88c6f4aaa70c542e59e5a9d2244bcc99cd245d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/147f3e3d84054117ae6b9bf317ec4fda9f991192
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f8bac7f9fdb0017b32157957ffffd490f95faa07