Subject: CVE-2022-48840: iavf: Fix hang during reboot/shutdown

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

iavf: Fix hang during reboot/shutdown

Recent commit 974578017fc1 ("iavf: Add waiting so the port is
initialized in remove") adds a wait-loop at the beginning of
iavf_remove() to ensure that port initialization is finished
prior unregistering net device. This causes a regression
in reboot/shutdown scenario because in this case callback
iavf_shutdown() is called and this callback detaches the device,
makes it down if it is running and sets its state to __IAVF_REMOVE.
Later shutdown callback of associated PF driver (e.g. ice_shutdown)
is called. That callback calls among other things sriov_disable()
that calls indirectly iavf_remove() (see stack trace below).
As the adapter state is already __IAVF_REMOVE then the mentioned
loop is end-less and shutdown process hangs.

The patch fixes this by checking adapter's state at the beginning
of iavf_remove() and skips the rest of the function if the adapter
is already in remove state (shutdown is in progress).

Reproducer:
1. Create VF on PF driven by ice or i40e driver
2. Ensure that the VF is bound to iavf driver
3. Reboot

[52625.981294] sysrq: SysRq : Show Blocked State
[52625.988377] task:reboot          state:D stack:    0 pid:17359 ppid:     1 f2
[52625.996732] Call Trace:
[52625.999187]  __schedule+0x2d1/0x830
[52626.007400]  schedule+0x35/0xa0
[52626.010545]  schedule_hrtimeout_range_clock+0x83/0x100
[52626.020046]  usleep_range+0x5b/0x80
[52626.023540]  iavf_remove+0x63/0x5b0 [iavf]
[52626.027645]  pci_device_remove+0x3b/0xc0
[52626.031572]  device_release_driver_internal+0x103/0x1f0
[52626.036805]  pci_stop_bus_device+0x72/0xa0
[52626.040904]  pci_stop_and_remove_bus_device+0xe/0x20
[52626.045870]  pci_iov_remove_virtfn+0xba/0x120
[52626.050232]  sriov_disable+0x2f/0xe0
[52626.053813]  ice_free_vfs+0x7c/0x340 [ice]
[52626.057946]  ice_remove+0x220/0x240 [ice]
[52626.061967]  ice_shutdown+0x16/0x50 [ice]
[52626.065987]  pci_device_shutdown+0x34/0x60
[52626.070086]  device_shutdown+0x165/0x1c5
[52626.074011]  kernel_restart+0xe/0x30
[52626.077593]  __do_sys_reboot+0x1d2/0x210
[52626.093815]  do_syscall_64+0x5b/0x1a0
[52626.097483]  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x65/0xca

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2022-48840 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.15.27 with commit 85aa76066fef and fixed in 5.15.31 with commit 80974bb73027
	Issue introduced in 5.16.13 with commit 7b9515172ab4 and fixed in 5.16.17 with commit 4477b9a4193b

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2022-48840
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/intel/iavf/iavf_main.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/80974bb730270199c6fcb189af04d5945b87e813
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4477b9a4193b35eb3a8afd2adf2d42add2f88d57
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b04683ff8f0823b869c219c78ba0d974bddea0b5