Subject: CVE-2022-48818: net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: don't use devres for mdiobus

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: don't use devres for mdiobus

As explained in commits:
74b6d7d13307 ("net: dsa: realtek: register the MDIO bus under devres")
5135e96a3dd2 ("net: dsa: don't allocate the slave_mii_bus using devres")

mdiobus_free() will panic when called from devm_mdiobus_free() <-
devres_release_all() <- __device_release_driver(), and that mdiobus was
not previously unregistered.

The mv88e6xxx is an MDIO device, so the initial set of constraints that
I thought would cause this (I2C or SPI buses which call ->remove on
->shutdown) do not apply. But there is one more which applies here.

If the DSA master itself is on a bus that calls ->remove from ->shutdown
(like dpaa2-eth, which is on the fsl-mc bus), there is a device link
between the switch and the DSA master, and device_links_unbind_consumers()
will unbind the Marvell switch driver on shutdown.

systemd-shutdown[1]: Powering off.
mv88e6085 0x0000000008b96000:00 sw_gl0: Link is Down
fsl-mc dpbp.9: Removing from iommu group 7
fsl-mc dpbp.8: Removing from iommu group 7
------------[ cut here ]------------
kernel BUG at drivers/net/phy/mdio_bus.c:677!
Internal error: Oops - BUG: 0 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
Modules linked in:
CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: systemd-shutdow Not tainted 5.16.5-00040-gdc05f73788e5 #15
pc : mdiobus_free+0x44/0x50
lr : devm_mdiobus_free+0x10/0x20
Call trace:
 mdiobus_free+0x44/0x50
 devm_mdiobus_free+0x10/0x20
 devres_release_all+0xa0/0x100
 __device_release_driver+0x190/0x220
 device_release_driver_internal+0xac/0xb0
 device_links_unbind_consumers+0xd4/0x100
 __device_release_driver+0x4c/0x220
 device_release_driver_internal+0xac/0xb0
 device_links_unbind_consumers+0xd4/0x100
 __device_release_driver+0x94/0x220
 device_release_driver+0x28/0x40
 bus_remove_device+0x118/0x124
 device_del+0x174/0x420
 fsl_mc_device_remove+0x24/0x40
 __fsl_mc_device_remove+0xc/0x20
 device_for_each_child+0x58/0xa0
 dprc_remove+0x90/0xb0
 fsl_mc_driver_remove+0x20/0x5c
 __device_release_driver+0x21c/0x220
 device_release_driver+0x28/0x40
 bus_remove_device+0x118/0x124
 device_del+0x174/0x420
 fsl_mc_bus_remove+0x80/0x100
 fsl_mc_bus_shutdown+0xc/0x1c
 platform_shutdown+0x20/0x30
 device_shutdown+0x154/0x330
 kernel_power_off+0x34/0x6c
 __do_sys_reboot+0x15c/0x250
 __arm64_sys_reboot+0x20/0x30
 invoke_syscall.constprop.0+0x4c/0xe0
 do_el0_svc+0x4c/0x150
 el0_svc+0x24/0xb0
 el0t_64_sync_handler+0xa8/0xb0
 el0t_64_sync+0x178/0x17c

So the same treatment must be applied to all DSA switch drivers, which
is: either use devres for both the mdiobus allocation and registration,
or don't use devres at all.

The Marvell driver already has a good structure for mdiobus removal, so
just plug in mdiobus_free and get rid of devres.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2022-48818 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.9 with commit ac3a68d56651 and fixed in 5.10.101 with commit 8ccebe77df6e
	Issue introduced in 5.9 with commit ac3a68d56651 and fixed in 5.15.24 with commit 8b626d45127d
	Issue introduced in 5.9 with commit ac3a68d56651 and fixed in 5.16.10 with commit 1b451c3994a2
	Issue introduced in 5.9 with commit ac3a68d56651 and fixed in 5.17 with commit f53a2ce893b2

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2022-48818
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/dsa/mv88e6xxx/chip.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8ccebe77df6e0d88c72ba5e69cf1835927e53b6c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8b626d45127d6f5ada7d815b83cfdc09e8cb1394
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1b451c3994a2d322f8e55032c62c8b47b7d95900
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f53a2ce893b2c7884ef94471f170839170a4eba0