Subject: CVE-2022-48675: IB/core: Fix a nested dead lock as part of ODP flow

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

IB/core: Fix a nested dead lock as part of ODP flow

Fix a nested dead lock as part of ODP flow by using mmput_async().

From the below call trace [1] can see that calling mmput() once we have
the umem_odp->umem_mutex locked as required by
ib_umem_odp_map_dma_and_lock() might trigger in the same task the
exit_mmap()->__mmu_notifier_release()->mlx5_ib_invalidate_range() which
may dead lock when trying to lock the same mutex.

Moving to use mmput_async() will solve the problem as the above
exit_mmap() flow will be called in other task and will be executed once
the lock will be available.

[1]
[64843.077665] task:kworker/u133:2  state:D stack:    0 pid:80906 ppid:
2 flags:0x00004000
[64843.077672] Workqueue: mlx5_ib_page_fault mlx5_ib_eqe_pf_action [mlx5_ib]
[64843.077719] Call Trace:
[64843.077722]  <TASK>
[64843.077724]  __schedule+0x23d/0x590
[64843.077729]  schedule+0x4e/0xb0
[64843.077735]  schedule_preempt_disabled+0xe/0x10
[64843.077740]  __mutex_lock.constprop.0+0x263/0x490
[64843.077747]  __mutex_lock_slowpath+0x13/0x20
[64843.077752]  mutex_lock+0x34/0x40
[64843.077758]  mlx5_ib_invalidate_range+0x48/0x270 [mlx5_ib]
[64843.077808]  __mmu_notifier_release+0x1a4/0x200
[64843.077816]  exit_mmap+0x1bc/0x200
[64843.077822]  ? walk_page_range+0x9c/0x120
[64843.077828]  ? __cond_resched+0x1a/0x50
[64843.077833]  ? mutex_lock+0x13/0x40
[64843.077839]  ? uprobe_clear_state+0xac/0x120
[64843.077860]  mmput+0x5f/0x140
[64843.077867]  ib_umem_odp_map_dma_and_lock+0x21b/0x580 [ib_core]
[64843.077931]  pagefault_real_mr+0x9a/0x140 [mlx5_ib]
[64843.077962]  pagefault_mr+0xb4/0x550 [mlx5_ib]
[64843.077992]  pagefault_single_data_segment.constprop.0+0x2ac/0x560
[mlx5_ib]
[64843.078022]  mlx5_ib_eqe_pf_action+0x528/0x780 [mlx5_ib]
[64843.078051]  process_one_work+0x22b/0x3d0
[64843.078059]  worker_thread+0x53/0x410
[64843.078065]  ? process_one_work+0x3d0/0x3d0
[64843.078073]  kthread+0x12a/0x150
[64843.078079]  ? set_kthread_struct+0x50/0x50
[64843.078085]  ret_from_fork+0x22/0x30
[64843.078093]  </TASK>

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2022-48675 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 36f30e486dce and fixed in 5.10.143 with commit e8de6cb5755e
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 36f30e486dce and fixed in 5.15.68 with commit 819110054b14
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 36f30e486dce and fixed in 5.19.9 with commit 83c43fd872e3
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 36f30e486dce and fixed in 6.0 with commit 85eaeb5058f0

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2022-48675
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/infiniband/core/umem_odp.c
	kernel/fork.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e8de6cb5755eae7b793d8c00c8696c8667d44a7f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/819110054b14d7272b4188db997a3d80f75ab785
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/83c43fd872e32c8071d5582eb7c40f573a8342f3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/85eaeb5058f0f04dffb124c97c86b4f18db0b833