Subject: CVE-2021-47606: net: netlink: af_netlink: Prevent empty skb by adding a check on len.

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: netlink: af_netlink: Prevent empty skb by adding a check on len.

Adding a check on len parameter to avoid empty skb. This prevents a
division error in netem_enqueue function which is caused when skb->len=0
and skb->data_len=0 in the randomized corruption step as shown below.

skb->data[prandom_u32() % skb_headlen(skb)] ^= 1<<(prandom_u32() % 8);

Crash Report:
[  343.170349] netdevsim netdevsim0 netdevsim3: set [1, 0] type 2 family
0 port 6081 - 0
[  343.216110] netem: version 1.3
[  343.235841] divide error: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP KASAN NOPTI
[  343.236680] CPU: 3 PID: 4288 Comm: reproducer Not tainted 5.16.0-rc1+
[  343.237569] Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996),
BIOS 1.11.0-2.el7 04/01/2014
[  343.238707] RIP: 0010:netem_enqueue+0x1590/0x33c0 [sch_netem]
[  343.239499] Code: 89 85 58 ff ff ff e8 5f 5d e9 d3 48 8b b5 48 ff ff
ff 8b 8d 50 ff ff ff 8b 85 58 ff ff ff 48 8b bd 70 ff ff ff 31 d2 2b 4f
74 <f7> f1 48 b8 00 00 00 00 00 fc ff df 49 01 d5 4c 89 e9 48 c1 e9 03
[  343.241883] RSP: 0018:ffff88800bcd7368 EFLAGS: 00010246
[  343.242589] RAX: 00000000ba7c0a9c RBX: 0000000000000001 RCX:
0000000000000000
[  343.243542] RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: ffff88800f8edb10 RDI:
ffff88800f8eda40
[  343.244474] RBP: ffff88800bcd7458 R08: 0000000000000000 R09:
ffffffff94fb8445
[  343.245403] R10: ffffffff94fb8336 R11: ffffffff94fb8445 R12:
0000000000000000
[  343.246355] R13: ffff88800a5a7000 R14: ffff88800a5b5800 R15:
0000000000000020
[  343.247291] FS:  00007fdde2bd7700(0000) GS:ffff888109780000(0000)
knlGS:0000000000000000
[  343.248350] CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
[  343.249120] CR2: 00000000200000c0 CR3: 000000000ef4c000 CR4:
00000000000006e0
[  343.250076] Call Trace:
[  343.250423]  <TASK>
[  343.250713]  ? memcpy+0x4d/0x60
[  343.251162]  ? netem_init+0xa0/0xa0 [sch_netem]
[  343.251795]  ? __sanitizer_cov_trace_pc+0x21/0x60
[  343.252443]  netem_enqueue+0xe28/0x33c0 [sch_netem]
[  343.253102]  ? stack_trace_save+0x87/0xb0
[  343.253655]  ? filter_irq_stacks+0xb0/0xb0
[  343.254220]  ? netem_init+0xa0/0xa0 [sch_netem]
[  343.254837]  ? __kasan_check_write+0x14/0x20
[  343.255418]  ? _raw_spin_lock+0x88/0xd6
[  343.255953]  dev_qdisc_enqueue+0x50/0x180
[  343.256508]  __dev_queue_xmit+0x1a7e/0x3090
[  343.257083]  ? netdev_core_pick_tx+0x300/0x300
[  343.257690]  ? check_kcov_mode+0x10/0x40
[  343.258219]  ? _raw_spin_unlock_irqrestore+0x29/0x40
[  343.258899]  ? __kasan_init_slab_obj+0x24/0x30
[  343.259529]  ? setup_object.isra.71+0x23/0x90
[  343.260121]  ? new_slab+0x26e/0x4b0
[  343.260609]  ? kasan_poison+0x3a/0x50
[  343.261118]  ? kasan_unpoison+0x28/0x50
[  343.261637]  ? __kasan_slab_alloc+0x71/0x90
[  343.262214]  ? memcpy+0x4d/0x60
[  343.262674]  ? write_comp_data+0x2f/0x90
[  343.263209]  ? __kasan_check_write+0x14/0x20
[  343.263802]  ? __skb_clone+0x5d6/0x840
[  343.264329]  ? __sanitizer_cov_trace_pc+0x21/0x60
[  343.264958]  dev_queue_xmit+0x1c/0x20
[  343.265470]  netlink_deliver_tap+0x652/0x9c0
[  343.266067]  netlink_unicast+0x5a0/0x7f0
[  343.266608]  ? netlink_attachskb+0x860/0x860
[  343.267183]  ? __sanitizer_cov_trace_pc+0x21/0x60
[  343.267820]  ? write_comp_data+0x2f/0x90
[  343.268367]  netlink_sendmsg+0x922/0xe80
[  343.268899]  ? netlink_unicast+0x7f0/0x7f0
[  343.269472]  ? __sanitizer_cov_trace_pc+0x21/0x60
[  343.270099]  ? write_comp_data+0x2f/0x90
[  343.270644]  ? netlink_unicast+0x7f0/0x7f0
[  343.271210]  sock_sendmsg+0x155/0x190
[  343.271721]  ____sys_sendmsg+0x75f/0x8f0
[  343.272262]  ? kernel_sendmsg+0x60/0x60
[  343.272788]  ? write_comp_data+0x2f/0x90
[  343.273332]  ? write_comp_data+0x2f/0x90
[  343.273869]  ___sys_sendmsg+0x10f/0x190
[  343.274405]  ? sendmsg_copy_msghdr+0x80/0x80
[  343.274984]  ? slab_post_alloc_hook+0x70/0x230
[  343.275597]  ? futex_wait_setup+0x240/0x240
[  343.276175]  ? security_file_alloc+0x3e/0x170
[  343.276779]  ? write_comp_data+0x2f/0x90
[  343.277313]  ? __sanitizer_cov_trace_pc+0x21/0x60
[  343.277969]  ? write_comp_data+0x2f/0x90
[  343.278515]  ? __fget_files+0x1ad/0x260
[  343.279048]  ? __sanitizer_cov_trace_pc+0x21/0x60
[  343.279685]  ? write_comp_data+0x2f/0x90
[  343.280234]  ? __sanitizer_cov_trace_pc+0x21/0x60
[  343.280874]  ? sockfd_lookup_light+0xd1/0x190
[  343.281481]  __sys_sendmsg+0x118/0x200
[  343.281998]  ? __sys_sendmsg_sock+0x40/0x40
[  343.282578]  ? alloc_fd+0x229/0x5e0
[  343.283070]  ? write_comp_data+0x2f/0x90
[  343.283610]  ? write_comp_data+0x2f/0x90
[  343.284135]  ? __sanitizer_cov_trace_pc+0x21/0x60
[  343.284776]  ? ktime_get_coarse_real_ts64+0xb8/0xf0
[  343.285450]  __x64_sys_sendmsg+0x7d/0xc0
[  343.285981]  ? syscall_enter_from_user_mode+0x4d/0x70
[  343.286664]  do_syscall_64+0x3a/0x80
[  343.287158]  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae
[  343.287850] RIP: 0033:0x7fdde24cf289
[  343.288344] Code: 01 00 48 81 c4 80 00 00 00 e9 f1 fe ff ff 0f 1f 00
48 89 f8 48 89 f7 48 89 d6 48 89 ca 4d 89 c2 4d 89 c8 4c 8b 4c 24 08 0f
05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 73 01 c3 48 8b 0d b7 db 2c 00 f7 d8 64 89 01 48
[  343.290729] RSP: 002b:00007fdde2bd6d98 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX:
000000000000002e
[  343.291730] RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 0000000000000000 RCX:
00007fdde24cf289
[  343.292673] RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: 00000000200000c0 RDI:
0000000000000004
[  343.293618] RBP: 00007fdde2bd6e20 R08: 0000000100000001 R09:
0000000000000000
[  343.294557] R10: 0000000100000001 R11: 0000000000000246 R12:
0000000000000000
[  343.295493] R13: 0000000000021000 R14: 0000000000000000 R15:
00007fdde2bd7700
[  343.296432]  </TASK>
[  343.296735] Modules linked in: sch_netem ip6_vti ip_vti ip_gre ipip
sit ip_tunnel geneve macsec macvtap tap ipvlan macvlan 8021q garp mrp
hsr wireguard libchacha20poly1305 chacha_x86_64 poly1305_x86_64
ip6_udp_tunnel udp_tunnel libblake2s blake2s_x86_64 libblake2s_generic
curve25519_x86_64 libcurve25519_generic libchacha xfrm_interface
xfrm6_tunnel tunnel4 veth netdevsim psample batman_adv nlmon dummy team
bonding tls vcan ip6_gre ip6_tunnel tunnel6 gre tun ip6t_rpfilter
ipt_REJECT nf_reject_ipv4 ip6t_REJECT nf_reject_ipv6 xt_conntrack ip_set
ebtable_nat ebtable_broute ip6table_nat ip6table_mangle
ip6table_security ip6table_raw iptable_nat nf_nat nf_conntrack
nf_defrag_ipv6 nf_defrag_ipv4 iptable_mangle iptable_security
iptable_raw ebtable_filter ebtables rfkill ip6table_filter ip6_tables
iptable_filter ppdev bochs drm_vram_helper drm_ttm_helper ttm
drm_kms_helper cec parport_pc drm joydev floppy parport sg syscopyarea
sysfillrect sysimgblt i2c_piix4 qemu_fw_cfg fb_sys_fops pcspkr
[  343.297459]  ip_tables xfs virtio_net net_failover failover sd_mod
sr_mod cdrom t10_pi ata_generic pata_acpi ata_piix libata virtio_pci
virtio_pci_legacy_dev serio_raw virtio_pci_modern_dev dm_mirror
dm_region_hash dm_log dm_mod
[  343.311074] Dumping ftrace buffer:
[  343.311532]    (ftrace buffer empty)
[  343.312040] ---[ end trace a2e3db5a6ae05099 ]---
[  343.312691] RIP: 0010:netem_enqueue+0x1590/0x33c0 [sch_netem]
[  343.313481] Code: 89 85 58 ff ff ff e8 5f 5d e9 d3 48 8b b5 48 ff ff
ff 8b 8d 50 ff ff ff 8b 85 58 ff ff ff 48 8b bd 70 ff ff ff 31 d2 2b 4f
74 <f7> f1 48 b8 00 00 00 00 00 fc ff df 49 01 d5 4c 89 e9 48 c1 e9 03
[  343.315893] RSP: 0018:ffff88800bcd7368 EFLAGS: 00010246
[  343.316622] RAX: 00000000ba7c0a9c RBX: 0000000000000001 RCX:
0000000000000000
[  343.317585] RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: ffff88800f8edb10 RDI:
ffff88800f8eda40
[  343.318549] RBP: ffff88800bcd7458 R08: 0000000000000000 R09:
ffffffff94fb8445
[  343.319503] R10: ffffffff94fb8336 R11: ffffffff94fb8445 R12:
0000000000000000
[  343.320455] R13: ffff88800a5a7000 R14: ffff88800a5b5800 R15:
0000000000000020
[  343.321414] FS:  00007fdde2bd7700(0000) GS:ffff888109780000(0000)
knlGS:0000000000000000
[  343.322489] CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
[  343.323283] CR2: 00000000200000c0 CR3: 000000000ef4c000 CR4:
00000000000006e0
[  343.324264] Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
[  343.333717] Dumping ftrace buffer:
[  343.334175]    (ftrace buffer empty)
[  343.334653] Kernel Offset: 0x13600000 from 0xffffffff81000000
(relocation range: 0xffffffff80000000-0xffffffffbfffffff)
[  343.336027] Rebooting in 86400 seconds..

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47606 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 4.4.296 with commit c54a60c8fbaa
	Fixed in 4.9.294 with commit 40cf2e058832
	Fixed in 4.14.259 with commit 54e785f7d5c1
	Fixed in 4.19.222 with commit ff3f517bf713
	Fixed in 5.4.167 with commit c0315e93552e
	Fixed in 5.10.87 with commit dadce61247c6
	Fixed in 5.15.10 with commit 4c986072a8c9
	Fixed in 5.16 with commit f123cffdd8fe

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47606
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/netlink/af_netlink.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c54a60c8fbaa774f828e26df79f66229a8a0e010
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/40cf2e058832d9cfaae98dfd77334926275598b6
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/54e785f7d5c197bc06dbb8053700df7e2a093ced
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ff3f517bf7138e01a17369042908a3f345c0ee41
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c0315e93552e0d840e9edc6abd71c7db82ec8f51
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/dadce61247c6230489527cc5e343b6002d1114c5
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4c986072a8c9249b9398c7a18f216dc26a9f0e35
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f123cffdd8fe8ea6c7fded4b88516a42798797d0