Subject: CVE-2021-47590: mptcp: fix deadlock in __mptcp_push_pending()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

mptcp: fix deadlock in __mptcp_push_pending()

__mptcp_push_pending() may call mptcp_flush_join_list() with subflow
socket lock held. If such call hits mptcp_sockopt_sync_all() then
subsequently __mptcp_sockopt_sync() could try to lock the subflow
socket for itself, causing a deadlock.

sysrq: Show Blocked State
task:ss-server       state:D stack:    0 pid:  938 ppid:     1 flags:0x00000000
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 __schedule+0x2d6/0x10c0
 ? __mod_memcg_state+0x4d/0x70
 ? csum_partial+0xd/0x20
 ? _raw_spin_lock_irqsave+0x26/0x50
 schedule+0x4e/0xc0
 __lock_sock+0x69/0x90
 ? do_wait_intr_irq+0xa0/0xa0
 __lock_sock_fast+0x35/0x50
 mptcp_sockopt_sync_all+0x38/0xc0
 __mptcp_push_pending+0x105/0x200
 mptcp_sendmsg+0x466/0x490
 sock_sendmsg+0x57/0x60
 __sys_sendto+0xf0/0x160
 ? do_wait_intr_irq+0xa0/0xa0
 ? fpregs_restore_userregs+0x12/0xd0
 __x64_sys_sendto+0x20/0x30
 do_syscall_64+0x38/0x90
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae
RIP: 0033:0x7f9ba546c2d0
RSP: 002b:00007ffdc3b762d8 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 000000000000002c
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 00007f9ba56c8060 RCX: 00007f9ba546c2d0
RDX: 000000000000077a RSI: 0000000000e5e180 RDI: 0000000000000234
RBP: 0000000000cc57f0 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 00007f9ba56c8060
R13: 0000000000b6ba60 R14: 0000000000cc7840 R15: 41d8685b1d7901b8
 </TASK>

Fix the issue by using __mptcp_flush_join_list() instead of plain
mptcp_flush_join_list() inside __mptcp_push_pending(), as suggested by
Florian. The sockopt sync will be deferred to the workqueue.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47590 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.13 with commit 1b3e7ede1365 and fixed in 5.15.11 with commit 23311b92755f
	Issue introduced in 5.13 with commit 1b3e7ede1365 and fixed in 5.16 with commit 3d79e3756ca9

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47590
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/mptcp/protocol.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/23311b92755ffa9087332d1bb8c71c0f6a10cc08
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3d79e3756ca90f7a6087b77b62c1d9c0801e0820