Subject: CVE-2021-47572: net: nexthop: fix null pointer dereference when IPv6 is not enabled

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: nexthop: fix null pointer dereference when IPv6 is not enabled

When we try to add an IPv6 nexthop and IPv6 is not enabled
(!CONFIG_IPV6) we'll hit a NULL pointer dereference[1] in the error path
of nh_create_ipv6() due to calling ipv6_stub->fib6_nh_release. The bug
has been present since the beginning of IPv6 nexthop gateway support.
Commit 1aefd3de7bc6 ("ipv6: Add fib6_nh_init and release to stubs") tells
us that only fib6_nh_init has a dummy stub because fib6_nh_release should
not be called if fib6_nh_init returns an error, but the commit below added
a call to ipv6_stub->fib6_nh_release in its error path. To fix it return
the dummy stub's -EAFNOSUPPORT error directly without calling
ipv6_stub->fib6_nh_release in nh_create_ipv6()'s error path.

[1]
 Output is a bit truncated, but it clearly shows the error.
 BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address: 000000000000000000
 #PF: supervisor instruction fetch in kernel modede
 #PF: error_code(0x0010) - not-present pagege
 PGD 0 P4D 0
 Oops: 0010 [#1] PREEMPT SMP NOPTI
 CPU: 4 PID: 638 Comm: ip Kdump: loaded Not tainted 5.16.0-rc1+ #446
 Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS 1.14.0-4.fc34 04/01/2014
 RIP: 0010:0x0
 Code: Unable to access opcode bytes at RIP 0xffffffffffffffd6.
 RSP: 0018:ffff888109f5b8f0 EFLAGS: 00010286^Ac
 RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffff888109f5ba28 RCX: 0000000000000000
 RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: 0000000000000000 RDI: ffff8881008a2860
 RBP: ffff888109f5b9d8 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
 R10: ffff888109f5b978 R11: ffff888109f5b948 R12: 00000000ffffff9f
 R13: ffff8881008a2a80 R14: ffff8881008a2860 R15: ffff8881008a2840
 FS:  00007f98de70f100(0000) GS:ffff88822bf00000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
 CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
 CR2: ffffffffffffffd6 CR3: 0000000100efc000 CR4: 00000000000006e0
 Call Trace:
  <TASK>
  nh_create_ipv6+0xed/0x10c
  rtm_new_nexthop+0x6d7/0x13f3
  ? check_preemption_disabled+0x3d/0xf2
  ? lock_is_held_type+0xbe/0xfd
  rtnetlink_rcv_msg+0x23f/0x26a
  ? check_preemption_disabled+0x3d/0xf2
  ? rtnl_calcit.isra.0+0x147/0x147
  netlink_rcv_skb+0x61/0xb2
  netlink_unicast+0x100/0x187
  netlink_sendmsg+0x37f/0x3a0
  ? netlink_unicast+0x187/0x187
  sock_sendmsg_nosec+0x67/0x9b
  ____sys_sendmsg+0x19d/0x1f9
  ? copy_msghdr_from_user+0x4c/0x5e
  ? rcu_read_lock_any_held+0x2a/0x78
  ___sys_sendmsg+0x6c/0x8c
  ? asm_sysvec_apic_timer_interrupt+0x12/0x20
  ? lockdep_hardirqs_on+0xd9/0x102
  ? sockfd_lookup_light+0x69/0x99
  __sys_sendmsg+0x50/0x6e
  do_syscall_64+0xcb/0xf2
  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae
 RIP: 0033:0x7f98dea28914
 Code: 00 f7 d8 64 89 02 48 c7 c0 ff ff ff ff eb b5 0f 1f 80 00 00 00 00 48 8d 05 e9 5d 0c 00 8b 00 85 c0 75 13 b8 2e 00 00 00 0f 05 <48> 3d 00 f0 ff ff 77 54 c3 0f 1f 00 41 54 41 89 d4 55 48 89 f5 53
 RSP: 002b:00007fff859f5e68 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 000000000000002e2e
 RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 00000000619cb810 RCX: 00007f98dea28914
 RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: 00007fff859f5ed0 RDI: 0000000000000003
 RBP: 0000000000000000 R08: 0000000000000001 R09: 0000000000000008
 R10: fffffffffffffce6 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000000000000001
 R13: 000055c0097ae520 R14: 000055c0097957fd R15: 00007fff859f63a0
 </TASK>
 Modules linked in: bridge stp llc bonding virtio_net

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47572 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 53010f991a9f and fixed in 5.4.163 with commit 7b6f44856da5
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 53010f991a9f and fixed in 5.10.83 with commit b70ff391deee
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 53010f991a9f and fixed in 5.15.6 with commit 39509d76a9a3
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 53010f991a9f and fixed in 5.16 with commit 1c743127cc54

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47572
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/ipv4/nexthop.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7b6f44856da5ba0b1aa61403eb9fddd272156503
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b70ff391deeec35cdd8a05f5f63f5fe28bc4f225
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/39509d76a9a3d02f379d52cb4b1449469c56c0e0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1c743127cc54b112b155f434756bd4b5fa565a99