Subject: CVE-2021-47569: io_uring: fail cancellation for EXITING tasks

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

io_uring: fail cancellation for EXITING tasks

WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 20 at fs/io_uring.c:6269 io_try_cancel_userdata+0x3c5/0x640 fs/io_uring.c:6269
CPU: 1 PID: 20 Comm: kworker/1:0 Not tainted 5.16.0-rc1-syzkaller #0
Workqueue: events io_fallback_req_func
RIP: 0010:io_try_cancel_userdata+0x3c5/0x640 fs/io_uring.c:6269
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 io_req_task_link_timeout+0x6b/0x1e0 fs/io_uring.c:6886
 io_fallback_req_func+0xf9/0x1ae fs/io_uring.c:1334
 process_one_work+0x9b2/0x1690 kernel/workqueue.c:2298
 worker_thread+0x658/0x11f0 kernel/workqueue.c:2445
 kthread+0x405/0x4f0 kernel/kthread.c:327
 ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:295
 </TASK>

We need original task's context to do cancellations, so if it's dying
and the callback is executed in a fallback mode, fail the cancellation
attempt.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47569 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit 89b263f6d56e and fixed in 5.15.6 with commit 3d2a1e68fd99
	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit 89b263f6d56e and fixed in 5.16 with commit 617a89484deb

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47569
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/io_uring.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3d2a1e68fd9904fdc1b02f2e7d40ca47df7ba39f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/617a89484debcd4e7999796d693cf0b77d2519de