Subject: CVE-2021-47557: net/sched: sch_ets: don't peek at classes beyond 'nbands'

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net/sched: sch_ets: don't peek at classes beyond 'nbands'

when the number of DRR classes decreases, the round-robin active list can
contain elements that have already been freed in ets_qdisc_change(). As a
consequence, it's possible to see a NULL dereference crash, caused by the
attempt to call cl->qdisc->ops->peek(cl->qdisc) when cl->qdisc is NULL:

 BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address: 0000000000000018
 #PF: supervisor read access in kernel mode
 #PF: error_code(0x0000) - not-present page
 PGD 0 P4D 0
 Oops: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP NOPTI
 CPU: 1 PID: 910 Comm: mausezahn Not tainted 5.16.0-rc1+ #475
 Hardware name: Red Hat KVM, BIOS 1.11.1-4.module+el8.1.0+4066+0f1aadab 04/01/2014
 RIP: 0010:ets_qdisc_dequeue+0x129/0x2c0 [sch_ets]
 Code: c5 01 41 39 ad e4 02 00 00 0f 87 18 ff ff ff 49 8b 85 c0 02 00 00 49 39 c4 0f 84 ba 00 00 00 49 8b ad c0 02 00 00 48 8b 7d 10 <48> 8b 47 18 48 8b 40 38 0f ae e8 ff d0 48 89 c3 48 85 c0 0f 84 9d
 RSP: 0000:ffffbb36c0b5fdd8 EFLAGS: 00010287
 RAX: ffff956678efed30 RBX: 0000000000000000 RCX: 0000000000000000
 RDX: 0000000000000002 RSI: ffffffff9b938dc9 RDI: 0000000000000000
 RBP: ffff956678efed30 R08: e2f3207fe360129c R09: 0000000000000000
 R10: 0000000000000001 R11: 0000000000000001 R12: ffff956678efeac0
 R13: ffff956678efe800 R14: ffff956611545000 R15: ffff95667ac8f100
 FS:  00007f2aa9120740(0000) GS:ffff95667b800000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
 CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
 CR2: 0000000000000018 CR3: 000000011070c000 CR4: 0000000000350ee0
 Call Trace:
  <TASK>
  qdisc_peek_dequeued+0x29/0x70 [sch_ets]
  tbf_dequeue+0x22/0x260 [sch_tbf]
  __qdisc_run+0x7f/0x630
  net_tx_action+0x290/0x4c0
  __do_softirq+0xee/0x4f8
  irq_exit_rcu+0xf4/0x130
  sysvec_apic_timer_interrupt+0x52/0xc0
  asm_sysvec_apic_timer_interrupt+0x12/0x20
 RIP: 0033:0x7f2aa7fc9ad4
 Code: b9 ff ff 48 8b 54 24 18 48 83 c4 08 48 89 ee 48 89 df 5b 5d e9 ed fc ff ff 0f 1f 00 66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 f3 0f 1e fa <53> 48 83 ec 10 48 8b 05 10 64 33 00 48 8b 00 48 85 c0 0f 85 84 00
 RSP: 002b:00007ffe5d33fab8 EFLAGS: 00000202
 RAX: 0000000000000002 RBX: 0000561f72c31460 RCX: 0000561f72c31720
 RDX: 0000000000000002 RSI: 0000561f72c31722 RDI: 0000561f72c31720
 RBP: 000000000000002a R08: 00007ffe5d33fa40 R09: 0000000000000014
 R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000561f7187e380
 R13: 0000000000000000 R14: 0000000000000000 R15: 0000561f72c31460
  </TASK>
 Modules linked in: sch_ets sch_tbf dummy rfkill iTCO_wdt intel_rapl_msr iTCO_vendor_support intel_rapl_common joydev virtio_balloon lpc_ich i2c_i801 i2c_smbus pcspkr ip_tables xfs libcrc32c crct10dif_pclmul crc32_pclmul crc32c_intel ahci libahci ghash_clmulni_intel serio_raw libata virtio_blk virtio_console virtio_net net_failover failover sunrpc dm_mirror dm_region_hash dm_log dm_mod
 CR2: 0000000000000018

Ensuring that 'alist' was never zeroed [1] was not sufficient, we need to
remove from the active list those elements that are no more SP nor DRR.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

v3: fix race between ets_qdisc_change() and ets_qdisc_dequeue() delisting
    DRR classes beyond 'nbands' in ets_qdisc_change() with the qdisc lock
    acquired, thanks to Cong Wang.

v2: when a NULL qdisc is found in the DRR active list, try to dequeue skb
    from the next list item.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47557 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.6 with commit dcc68b4d8084 and fixed in 5.10.83 with commit ae2659d2c670
	Issue introduced in 5.6 with commit dcc68b4d8084 and fixed in 5.15.6 with commit e25bdbc7e951
	Issue introduced in 5.6 with commit dcc68b4d8084 and fixed in 5.16 with commit de6d25924c2a

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47557
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/sched/sch_ets.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ae2659d2c670252759ee9c823c4e039c0e05a6f2
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e25bdbc7e951ae5728fee1f4c09485df113d013c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/de6d25924c2a8c2988c6a385990cafbe742061bf