Subject: CVE-2021-47488: cgroup: Fix memory leak caused by missing cgroup_bpf_offline

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

cgroup: Fix memory leak caused by missing cgroup_bpf_offline

When enabling CONFIG_CGROUP_BPF, kmemleak can be observed by running
the command as below:

    $mount -t cgroup -o none,name=foo cgroup cgroup/
    $umount cgroup/

unreferenced object 0xc3585c40 (size 64):
  comm "mount", pid 425, jiffies 4294959825 (age 31.990s)
  hex dump (first 32 bytes):
    01 00 00 80 84 8c 28 c0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ......(.........
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 6c 43 a0 c3 00 00 00 00  ........lC......
  backtrace:
    [<e95a2f9e>] cgroup_bpf_inherit+0x44/0x24c
    [<1f03679c>] cgroup_setup_root+0x174/0x37c
    [<ed4b0ac5>] cgroup1_get_tree+0x2c0/0x4a0
    [<f85b12fd>] vfs_get_tree+0x24/0x108
    [<f55aec5c>] path_mount+0x384/0x988
    [<e2d5e9cd>] do_mount+0x64/0x9c
    [<208c9cfe>] sys_mount+0xfc/0x1f4
    [<06dd06e0>] ret_fast_syscall+0x0/0x48
    [<a8308cb3>] 0xbeb4daa8

This is because that since the commit 2b0d3d3e4fcf ("percpu_ref: reduce
memory footprint of percpu_ref in fast path") root_cgrp->bpf.refcnt.data
is allocated by the function percpu_ref_init in cgroup_bpf_inherit which
is called by cgroup_setup_root when mounting, but not freed along with
root_cgrp when umounting. Adding cgroup_bpf_offline which calls
percpu_ref_kill to cgroup_kill_sb can free root_cgrp->bpf.refcnt.data in
umount path.

This patch also fixes the commit 4bfc0bb2c60e ("bpf: decouple the lifetime
of cgroup_bpf from cgroup itself"). A cgroup_bpf_offline is needed to do a
cleanup that frees the resources which are allocated by cgroup_bpf_inherit
in cgroup_setup_root.

And inside cgroup_bpf_offline, cgroup_get() is at the beginning and
cgroup_put is at the end of cgroup_bpf_release which is called by
cgroup_bpf_offline. So cgroup_bpf_offline can keep the balance of
cgroup's refcount.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47488 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 4bfc0bb2c60e and fixed in 5.10.77 with commit 01599bf7cc2b
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 4bfc0bb2c60e and fixed in 5.14.16 with commit b529f88d9388
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 4bfc0bb2c60e and fixed in 5.15 with commit 04f8ef5643bc

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47488
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	kernel/cgroup/cgroup.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/01599bf7cc2b49c3d2be886cb438647dc25446ed
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b529f88d93884cf8ccafda793ee3d27b82fa578d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/04f8ef5643bcd8bcde25dfdebef998aea480b2ba