Subject: CVE-2021-47462: mm/mempolicy: do not allow illegal MPOL_F_NUMA_BALANCING | MPOL_LOCAL in mbind()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

mm/mempolicy: do not allow illegal MPOL_F_NUMA_BALANCING | MPOL_LOCAL in mbind()

syzbot reported access to unitialized memory in mbind() [1]

Issue came with commit bda420b98505 ("numa balancing: migrate on fault
among multiple bound nodes")

This commit added a new bit in MPOL_MODE_FLAGS, but only checked valid
combination (MPOL_F_NUMA_BALANCING can only be used with MPOL_BIND) in
do_set_mempolicy()

This patch moves the check in sanitize_mpol_flags() so that it is also
used by mbind()

  [1]
  BUG: KMSAN: uninit-value in __mpol_equal+0x567/0x590 mm/mempolicy.c:2260
   __mpol_equal+0x567/0x590 mm/mempolicy.c:2260
   mpol_equal include/linux/mempolicy.h:105 [inline]
   vma_merge+0x4a1/0x1e60 mm/mmap.c:1190
   mbind_range+0xcc8/0x1e80 mm/mempolicy.c:811
   do_mbind+0xf42/0x15f0 mm/mempolicy.c:1333
   kernel_mbind mm/mempolicy.c:1483 [inline]
   __do_sys_mbind mm/mempolicy.c:1490 [inline]
   __se_sys_mbind+0x437/0xb80 mm/mempolicy.c:1486
   __x64_sys_mbind+0x19d/0x200 mm/mempolicy.c:1486
   do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:51 [inline]
   do_syscall_64+0x54/0xd0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:82
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae

  Uninit was created at:
   slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3221 [inline]
   slab_alloc mm/slub.c:3230 [inline]
   kmem_cache_alloc+0x751/0xff0 mm/slub.c:3235
   mpol_new mm/mempolicy.c:293 [inline]
   do_mbind+0x912/0x15f0 mm/mempolicy.c:1289
   kernel_mbind mm/mempolicy.c:1483 [inline]
   __do_sys_mbind mm/mempolicy.c:1490 [inline]
   __se_sys_mbind+0x437/0xb80 mm/mempolicy.c:1486
   __x64_sys_mbind+0x19d/0x200 mm/mempolicy.c:1486
   do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:51 [inline]
   do_syscall_64+0x54/0xd0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:82
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae
  =====================================================
  Kernel panic - not syncing: panic_on_kmsan set ...
  CPU: 0 PID: 15049 Comm: syz-executor.0 Tainted: G    B             5.15.0-rc2-syzkaller #0
  Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 01/01/2011
  Call Trace:
   __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:88 [inline]
   dump_stack_lvl+0x1ff/0x28e lib/dump_stack.c:106
   dump_stack+0x25/0x28 lib/dump_stack.c:113
   panic+0x44f/0xdeb kernel/panic.c:232
   kmsan_report+0x2ee/0x300 mm/kmsan/report.c:186
   __msan_warning+0xd7/0x150 mm/kmsan/instrumentation.c:208
   __mpol_equal+0x567/0x590 mm/mempolicy.c:2260
   mpol_equal include/linux/mempolicy.h:105 [inline]
   vma_merge+0x4a1/0x1e60 mm/mmap.c:1190
   mbind_range+0xcc8/0x1e80 mm/mempolicy.c:811
   do_mbind+0xf42/0x15f0 mm/mempolicy.c:1333
   kernel_mbind mm/mempolicy.c:1483 [inline]
   __do_sys_mbind mm/mempolicy.c:1490 [inline]
   __se_sys_mbind+0x437/0xb80 mm/mempolicy.c:1486
   __x64_sys_mbind+0x19d/0x200 mm/mempolicy.c:1486
   do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:51 [inline]
   do_syscall_64+0x54/0xd0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:82
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47462 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit bda420b98505 and fixed in 5.14.15 with commit 9ee4e9ae98f1
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit bda420b98505 and fixed in 5.15 with commit 6d2aec9e123b

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47462
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	mm/mempolicy.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9ee4e9ae98f1f262d6fae0d266cfdf3ba2c321d9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6d2aec9e123bb9c49cb5c7fc654f25f81e688e8c