Subject: CVE-2021-47413: usb: chipidea: ci_hdrc_imx: Also search for 'phys' phandle

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

usb: chipidea: ci_hdrc_imx: Also search for 'phys' phandle

When passing 'phys' in the devicetree to describe the USB PHY phandle
(which is the recommended way according to
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/usb/ci-hdrc-usb2.txt) the
following NULL pointer dereference is observed on i.MX7 and i.MX8MM:

[    1.489344] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000000000098
[    1.498170] Mem abort info:
[    1.500966]   ESR = 0x96000044
[    1.504030]   EC = 0x25: DABT (current EL), IL = 32 bits
[    1.509356]   SET = 0, FnV = 0
[    1.512416]   EA = 0, S1PTW = 0
[    1.515569]   FSC = 0x04: level 0 translation fault
[    1.520458] Data abort info:
[    1.523349]   ISV = 0, ISS = 0x00000044
[    1.527196]   CM = 0, WnR = 1
[    1.530176] [0000000000000098] user address but active_mm is swapper
[    1.536544] Internal error: Oops: 96000044 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
[    1.542125] Modules linked in:
[    1.545190] CPU: 3 PID: 7 Comm: kworker/u8:0 Not tainted 5.14.0-dirty #3
[    1.551901] Hardware name: Kontron i.MX8MM N801X S (DT)
[    1.557133] Workqueue: events_unbound deferred_probe_work_func
[    1.562984] pstate: 80000005 (Nzcv daif -PAN -UAO -TCO BTYPE=--)
[    1.568998] pc : imx7d_charger_detection+0x3f0/0x510
[    1.573973] lr : imx7d_charger_detection+0x22c/0x510

This happens because the charger functions check for the phy presence
inside the imx_usbmisc_data structure (data->usb_phy), but the chipidea
core populates the usb_phy passed via 'phys' inside 'struct ci_hdrc'
(ci->usb_phy) instead.

This causes the NULL pointer dereference inside imx7d_charger_detection().

Fix it by also searching for 'phys' in case 'fsl,usbphy' is not found.

Tested on a imx7s-warp board.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47413 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.8 with commit 746f316b753a and fixed in 5.10.73 with commit b3265b88e83b
	Issue introduced in 5.8 with commit 746f316b753a and fixed in 5.14.12 with commit 66dd03b10e1c
	Issue introduced in 5.8 with commit 746f316b753a and fixed in 5.15 with commit 8253a34bfae3

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47413
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/usb/chipidea/ci_hdrc_imx.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b3265b88e83b16c7be762fa5fb7e0632bce0002c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/66dd03b10e1c0b2fae006c6e34c18ea8ee033e7b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8253a34bfae3278baca52fc1209b7c29270486ca