Subject: CVE-2021-47391: RDMA/cma: Ensure rdma_addr_cancel() happens before issuing more requests

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

RDMA/cma: Ensure rdma_addr_cancel() happens before issuing more requests

The FSM can run in a circle allowing rdma_resolve_ip() to be called twice
on the same id_priv. While this cannot happen without going through the
work, it violates the invariant that the same address resolution
background request cannot be active twice.

       CPU 1                                  CPU 2

rdma_resolve_addr():
  RDMA_CM_IDLE -> RDMA_CM_ADDR_QUERY
  rdma_resolve_ip(addr_handler)  #1

			 process_one_req(): for #1
                          addr_handler():
                            RDMA_CM_ADDR_QUERY -> RDMA_CM_ADDR_BOUND
                            mutex_unlock(&id_priv->handler_mutex);
                            [.. handler still running ..]

rdma_resolve_addr():
  RDMA_CM_ADDR_BOUND -> RDMA_CM_ADDR_QUERY
  rdma_resolve_ip(addr_handler)
    !! two requests are now on the req_list

rdma_destroy_id():
 destroy_id_handler_unlock():
  _destroy_id():
   cma_cancel_operation():
    rdma_addr_cancel()

                          // process_one_req() self removes it
		          spin_lock_bh(&lock);
                           cancel_delayed_work(&req->work);
	                   if (!list_empty(&req->list)) == true

      ! rdma_addr_cancel() returns after process_on_req #1 is done

   kfree(id_priv)

			 process_one_req(): for #2
                          addr_handler():
	                    mutex_lock(&id_priv->handler_mutex);
                            !! Use after free on id_priv

rdma_addr_cancel() expects there to be one req on the list and only
cancels the first one. The self-removal behavior of the work only happens
after the handler has returned. This yields a situations where the
req_list can have two reqs for the same "handle" but rdma_addr_cancel()
only cancels the first one.

The second req remains active beyond rdma_destroy_id() and will
use-after-free id_priv once it inevitably triggers.

Fix this by remembering if the id_priv has called rdma_resolve_ip() and
always cancel before calling it again. This ensures the req_list never
gets more than one item in it and doesn't cost anything in the normal flow
that never uses this strange error path.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47391 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 2.6.18 with commit e51060f08a61 and fixed in 5.10.188 with commit 9a085fa9b7d6
	Issue introduced in 2.6.18 with commit e51060f08a61 and fixed in 5.14.10 with commit 03d884671572
	Issue introduced in 2.6.18 with commit e51060f08a61 and fixed in 5.15 with commit 305d568b72f1

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47391
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/infiniband/core/cma.c
	drivers/infiniband/core/cma_priv.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9a085fa9b7d644a234465091e038c1911e1a4f2a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/03d884671572af8bcfbc9e63944c1021efce7589
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/305d568b72f17f674155a2a8275f865f207b3808