Subject: CVE-2021-47390: KVM: x86: Fix stack-out-of-bounds memory access from ioapic_write_indirect()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

KVM: x86: Fix stack-out-of-bounds memory access from ioapic_write_indirect()

KASAN reports the following issue:

 BUG: KASAN: stack-out-of-bounds in kvm_make_vcpus_request_mask+0x174/0x440 [kvm]
 Read of size 8 at addr ffffc9001364f638 by task qemu-kvm/4798

 CPU: 0 PID: 4798 Comm: qemu-kvm Tainted: G               X --------- ---
 Hardware name: AMD Corporation DAYTONA_X/DAYTONA_X, BIOS RYM0081C 07/13/2020
 Call Trace:
  dump_stack+0xa5/0xe6
  print_address_description.constprop.0+0x18/0x130
  ? kvm_make_vcpus_request_mask+0x174/0x440 [kvm]
  __kasan_report.cold+0x7f/0x114
  ? kvm_make_vcpus_request_mask+0x174/0x440 [kvm]
  kasan_report+0x38/0x50
  kasan_check_range+0xf5/0x1d0
  kvm_make_vcpus_request_mask+0x174/0x440 [kvm]
  kvm_make_scan_ioapic_request_mask+0x84/0xc0 [kvm]
  ? kvm_arch_exit+0x110/0x110 [kvm]
  ? sched_clock+0x5/0x10
  ioapic_write_indirect+0x59f/0x9e0 [kvm]
  ? static_obj+0xc0/0xc0
  ? __lock_acquired+0x1d2/0x8c0
  ? kvm_ioapic_eoi_inject_work+0x120/0x120 [kvm]

The problem appears to be that 'vcpu_bitmap' is allocated as a single long
on stack and it should really be KVM_MAX_VCPUS long. We also seem to clear
the lower 16 bits of it with bitmap_zero() for no particular reason (my
guess would be that 'bitmap' and 'vcpu_bitmap' variables in
kvm_bitmap_or_dest_vcpus() caused the confusion: while the later is indeed
16-bit long, the later should accommodate all possible vCPUs).

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47390 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.5 with commit 7ee30bc132c6 and fixed in 5.10.71 with commit bebabb76ad9a
	Issue introduced in 5.5 with commit 7ee30bc132c6 and fixed in 5.14.10 with commit 99a9e9b80f19
	Issue introduced in 5.5 with commit 7ee30bc132c6 and fixed in 5.15 with commit 2f9b68f57c62

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47390
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	arch/x86/kvm/ioapic.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/bebabb76ad9acca8858e0371e102fb60d708e25b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/99a9e9b80f19fc63be005a33d76211dd23114792
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2f9b68f57c6278c322793a06063181deded0ad69