Subject: CVE-2021-47371: nexthop: Fix memory leaks in nexthop notification chain listeners

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

nexthop: Fix memory leaks in nexthop notification chain listeners

syzkaller discovered memory leaks [1] that can be reduced to the
following commands:

 # ip nexthop add id 1 blackhole
 # devlink dev reload pci/0000:06:00.0

As part of the reload flow, mlxsw will unregister its netdevs and then
unregister from the nexthop notification chain. Before unregistering
from the notification chain, mlxsw will receive delete notifications for
nexthop objects using netdevs registered by mlxsw or their uppers. mlxsw
will not receive notifications for nexthops using netdevs that are not
dismantled as part of the reload flow. For example, the blackhole
nexthop above that internally uses the loopback netdev as its nexthop
device.

One way to fix this problem is to have listeners flush their nexthop
tables after unregistering from the notification chain. This is
error-prone as evident by this patch and also not symmetric with the
registration path where a listener receives a dump of all the existing
nexthops.

Therefore, fix this problem by replaying delete notifications for the
listener being unregistered. This is symmetric to the registration path
and also consistent with the netdev notification chain.

The above means that unregister_nexthop_notifier(), like
register_nexthop_notifier(), will have to take RTNL in order to iterate
over the existing nexthops and that any callers of the function cannot
hold RTNL. This is true for mlxsw and netdevsim, but not for the VXLAN
driver. To avoid a deadlock, change the latter to unregister its nexthop
listener without holding RTNL, making it symmetric to the registration
path.

[1]
unreferenced object 0xffff88806173d600 (size 512):
  comm "syz-executor.0", pid 1290, jiffies 4295583142 (age 143.507s)
  hex dump (first 32 bytes):
    41 9d 1e 60 80 88 ff ff 08 d6 73 61 80 88 ff ff  A..`......sa....
    08 d6 73 61 80 88 ff ff 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ..sa............
  backtrace:
    [<ffffffff81a6b576>] kmemleak_alloc_recursive include/linux/kmemleak.h:43 [inline]
    [<ffffffff81a6b576>] slab_post_alloc_hook+0x96/0x490 mm/slab.h:522
    [<ffffffff81a716d3>] slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3206 [inline]
    [<ffffffff81a716d3>] slab_alloc mm/slub.c:3214 [inline]
    [<ffffffff81a716d3>] kmem_cache_alloc_trace+0x163/0x370 mm/slub.c:3231
    [<ffffffff82e8681a>] kmalloc include/linux/slab.h:591 [inline]
    [<ffffffff82e8681a>] kzalloc include/linux/slab.h:721 [inline]
    [<ffffffff82e8681a>] mlxsw_sp_nexthop_obj_group_create drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlxsw/spectrum_router.c:4918 [inline]
    [<ffffffff82e8681a>] mlxsw_sp_nexthop_obj_new drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlxsw/spectrum_router.c:5054 [inline]
    [<ffffffff82e8681a>] mlxsw_sp_nexthop_obj_event+0x59a/0x2910 drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlxsw/spectrum_router.c:5239
    [<ffffffff813ef67d>] notifier_call_chain+0xbd/0x210 kernel/notifier.c:83
    [<ffffffff813f0662>] blocking_notifier_call_chain kernel/notifier.c:318 [inline]
    [<ffffffff813f0662>] blocking_notifier_call_chain+0x72/0xa0 kernel/notifier.c:306
    [<ffffffff8384b9c6>] call_nexthop_notifiers+0x156/0x310 net/ipv4/nexthop.c:244
    [<ffffffff83852bd8>] insert_nexthop net/ipv4/nexthop.c:2336 [inline]
    [<ffffffff83852bd8>] nexthop_add net/ipv4/nexthop.c:2644 [inline]
    [<ffffffff83852bd8>] rtm_new_nexthop+0x14e8/0x4d10 net/ipv4/nexthop.c:2913
    [<ffffffff833e9a78>] rtnetlink_rcv_msg+0x448/0xbf0 net/core/rtnetlink.c:5572
    [<ffffffff83608703>] netlink_rcv_skb+0x173/0x480 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2504
    [<ffffffff833de032>] rtnetlink_rcv+0x22/0x30 net/core/rtnetlink.c:5590
    [<ffffffff836069de>] netlink_unicast_kernel net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1314 [inline]
    [<ffffffff836069de>] netlink_unicast+0x5ae/0x7f0 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1340
    [<ffffffff83607501>] netlink_sendmsg+0x8e1/0xe30 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1929
    [<ffffffff832fde84>] sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:704 [inline]
    [<ffffffff832fde84>] sock_sendmsg net/socket.c:724 [inline]
    [<ffffffff832fde84>] ____sys_sendmsg+0x874/0x9f0 net/socket.c:2409
    [<ffffffff83304a44>] ___sys_sendmsg+0x104/0x170 net/socket.c:2463
    [<ffffffff83304c01>] __sys_sendmsg+0x111/0x1f0 net/socket.c:2492
    [<ffffffff83304d5d>] __do_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2501 [inline]
    [<ffffffff83304d5d>] __se_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2499 [inline]
    [<ffffffff83304d5d>] __x64_sys_sendmsg+0x7d/0xc0 net/socket.c:2499

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47371 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.11 with commit 2a014b200bbd and fixed in 5.14.9 with commit 741760fa6252
	Issue introduced in 5.11 with commit 2a014b200bbd and fixed in 5.15 with commit 3106a0847525

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47371
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/vxlan.c
	net/ipv4/nexthop.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/741760fa6252628a3d3afad439b72437d4b123d9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3106a0847525befe3e22fc723909d1b21eb0d520