Subject: CVE-2021-47338: fbmem: Do not delete the mode that is still in use

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

fbmem: Do not delete the mode that is still in use

The execution of fb_delete_videomode() is not based on the result of the
previous fbcon_mode_deleted(). As a result, the mode is directly deleted,
regardless of whether it is still in use, which may cause UAF.

==================================================================
BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in fb_mode_is_equal+0x36e/0x5e0 \
drivers/video/fbdev/core/modedb.c:924
Read of size 4 at addr ffff88807e0ddb1c by task syz-executor.0/18962

CPU: 2 PID: 18962 Comm: syz-executor.0 Not tainted 5.10.45-rc1+ #3
Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS ...
Call Trace:
 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:77 [inline]
 dump_stack+0x137/0x1be lib/dump_stack.c:118
 print_address_description+0x6c/0x640 mm/kasan/report.c:385
 __kasan_report mm/kasan/report.c:545 [inline]
 kasan_report+0x13d/0x1e0 mm/kasan/report.c:562
 fb_mode_is_equal+0x36e/0x5e0 drivers/video/fbdev/core/modedb.c:924
 fbcon_mode_deleted+0x16a/0x220 drivers/video/fbdev/core/fbcon.c:2746
 fb_set_var+0x1e1/0xdb0 drivers/video/fbdev/core/fbmem.c:975
 do_fb_ioctl+0x4d9/0x6e0 drivers/video/fbdev/core/fbmem.c:1108
 vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:48 [inline]
 __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:753 [inline]
 __se_sys_ioctl+0xfb/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:739
 do_syscall_64+0x2d/0x70 arch/x86/entry/common.c:46
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9

Freed by task 18960:
 kasan_save_stack mm/kasan/common.c:48 [inline]
 kasan_set_track+0x3d/0x70 mm/kasan/common.c:56
 kasan_set_free_info+0x17/0x30 mm/kasan/generic.c:355
 __kasan_slab_free+0x108/0x140 mm/kasan/common.c:422
 slab_free_hook mm/slub.c:1541 [inline]
 slab_free_freelist_hook+0xd6/0x1a0 mm/slub.c:1574
 slab_free mm/slub.c:3139 [inline]
 kfree+0xca/0x3d0 mm/slub.c:4121
 fb_delete_videomode+0x56a/0x820 drivers/video/fbdev/core/modedb.c:1104
 fb_set_var+0x1f3/0xdb0 drivers/video/fbdev/core/fbmem.c:978
 do_fb_ioctl+0x4d9/0x6e0 drivers/video/fbdev/core/fbmem.c:1108
 vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:48 [inline]
 __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:753 [inline]
 __se_sys_ioctl+0xfb/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:739
 do_syscall_64+0x2d/0x70 arch/x86/entry/common.c:46
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47338 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 13ff178ccd6d and fixed in 5.4.134 with commit 359311b85ebe
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 13ff178ccd6d and fixed in 5.10.52 with commit 087bff9acd2e
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 13ff178ccd6d and fixed in 5.12.19 with commit f193509afc7f
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 13ff178ccd6d and fixed in 5.13.4 with commit d6e76469157d
	Issue introduced in 5.3 with commit 13ff178ccd6d and fixed in 5.14 with commit 0af778269a52

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47338
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/video/fbdev/core/fbmem.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/359311b85ebec7c07c3a08ae2f3def946cad33fa
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/087bff9acd2ec6db3f61aceb3224bde90fe0f7f8
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f193509afc7ff37a46862610c93b896044d5b693
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d6e76469157d8f240e5dec6f8411aa8d306b1126
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0af778269a522c988ef0b4188556aba97fb420cc