Subject: CVE-2021-47337: scsi: core: Fix bad pointer dereference when ehandler kthread is invalid

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

scsi: core: Fix bad pointer dereference when ehandler kthread is invalid

Commit 66a834d09293 ("scsi: core: Fix error handling of scsi_host_alloc()")
changed the allocation logic to call put_device() to perform host cleanup
with the assumption that IDA removal and stopping the kthread would
properly be performed in scsi_host_dev_release(). However, in the unlikely
case that the error handler thread fails to spawn, shost->ehandler is set
to ERR_PTR(-ENOMEM).

The error handler cleanup code in scsi_host_dev_release() will call
kthread_stop() if shost->ehandler != NULL which will always be the case
whether the kthread was successfully spawned or not. In the case that it
failed to spawn this has the nasty side effect of trying to dereference an
invalid pointer when kthread_stop() is called. The following splat provides
an example of this behavior in the wild:

scsi host11: error handler thread failed to spawn, error = -4
Kernel attempted to read user page (10c) - exploit attempt? (uid: 0)
BUG: Kernel NULL pointer dereference on read at 0x0000010c
Faulting instruction address: 0xc00000000818e9a8
Oops: Kernel access of bad area, sig: 11 [#1]
LE PAGE_SIZE=64K MMU=Hash SMP NR_CPUS=2048 NUMA pSeries
Modules linked in: ibmvscsi(+) scsi_transport_srp dm_multipath dm_mirror dm_region
 hash dm_log dm_mod fuse overlay squashfs loop
CPU: 12 PID: 274 Comm: systemd-udevd Not tainted 5.13.0-rc7 #1
NIP:  c00000000818e9a8 LR: c0000000089846e8 CTR: 0000000000007ee8
REGS: c000000037d12ea0 TRAP: 0300   Not tainted  (5.13.0-rc7)
MSR:  800000000280b033 &lt;SF,VEC,VSX,EE,FP,ME,IR,DR,RI,LE&gt;  CR: 28228228
XER: 20040001
CFAR: c0000000089846e4 DAR: 000000000000010c DSISR: 40000000 IRQMASK: 0
GPR00: c0000000089846e8 c000000037d13140 c000000009cc1100 fffffffffffffffc
GPR04: 0000000000000001 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 c000000037dc0000
GPR08: 0000000000000000 c000000037dc0000 0000000000000001 00000000fffff7ff
GPR12: 0000000000008000 c00000000a049000 c000000037d13d00 000000011134d5a0
GPR16: 0000000000001740 c0080000190d0000 c0080000190d1740 c000000009129288
GPR20: c000000037d13bc0 0000000000000001 c000000037d13bc0 c0080000190b7898
GPR24: c0080000190b7708 0000000000000000 c000000033bb2c48 0000000000000000
GPR28: c000000046b28280 0000000000000000 000000000000010c fffffffffffffffc
NIP [c00000000818e9a8] kthread_stop+0x38/0x230
LR [c0000000089846e8] scsi_host_dev_release+0x98/0x160
Call Trace:
[c000000033bb2c48] 0xc000000033bb2c48 (unreliable)
[c0000000089846e8] scsi_host_dev_release+0x98/0x160
[c00000000891e960] device_release+0x60/0x100
[c0000000087e55c4] kobject_release+0x84/0x210
[c00000000891ec78] put_device+0x28/0x40
[c000000008984ea4] scsi_host_alloc+0x314/0x430
[c0080000190b38bc] ibmvscsi_probe+0x54/0xad0 [ibmvscsi]
[c000000008110104] vio_bus_probe+0xa4/0x4b0
[c00000000892a860] really_probe+0x140/0x680
[c00000000892aefc] driver_probe_device+0x15c/0x200
[c00000000892b63c] device_driver_attach+0xcc/0xe0
[c00000000892b740] __driver_attach+0xf0/0x200
[c000000008926f28] bus_for_each_dev+0xa8/0x130
[c000000008929ce4] driver_attach+0x34/0x50
[c000000008928fc0] bus_add_driver+0x1b0/0x300
[c00000000892c798] driver_register+0x98/0x1a0
[c00000000810eb60] __vio_register_driver+0x80/0xe0
[c0080000190b4a30] ibmvscsi_module_init+0x9c/0xdc [ibmvscsi]
[c0000000080121d0] do_one_initcall+0x60/0x2d0
[c000000008261abc] do_init_module+0x7c/0x320
[c000000008265700] load_module+0x2350/0x25b0
[c000000008265cb4] __do_sys_finit_module+0xd4/0x160
[c000000008031110] system_call_exception+0x150/0x2d0
[c00000000800d35c] system_call_common+0xec/0x278

Fix this be nulling shost->ehandler when the kthread fails to spawn.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47337 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.9.273 with commit 8958181c1663 and fixed in 4.9.276 with commit d2f0b960d07e
	Issue introduced in 4.14.237 with commit db08ce595dd6 and fixed in 4.14.240 with commit f3d0a109240c
	Issue introduced in 4.19.195 with commit 2dc85045ae65 and fixed in 4.19.198 with commit e1bd3fac2baa
	Issue introduced in 5.4.126 with commit 79296e292d67 and fixed in 5.4.134 with commit 887bfae2732b
	Issue introduced in 5.10.44 with commit 7a696ce1d5d1 and fixed in 5.10.52 with commit ea518b70ed5e
	Issue introduced in 5.12.11 with commit 45d83db47281 and fixed in 5.12.19 with commit 8e4212ecf071
	Issue introduced in 5.13 with commit 66a834d09293 and fixed in 5.13.4 with commit c1671d2d2ef8
	Issue introduced in 5.13 with commit 66a834d09293 and fixed in 5.14 with commit 93aa71ad7379

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47337
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/scsi/hosts.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d2f0b960d07e52bb664471b4de0ed8b08c636b3a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f3d0a109240c9bed5c60d819014786be3a2fe515
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e1bd3fac2baa3d5c04375980c1d5263a3335af92
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/887bfae2732b5b02a86a859fd239d34f7ff93c05
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ea518b70ed5e4598c8d706f37fc16f7b06e440bd
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8e4212ecf0713dd57d0e3209a66201da582149b1
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c1671d2d2ef8a84837eea1b4d99ca0c6a66fb691
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/93aa71ad7379900e61c8adff6a710a4c18c7c99b