Subject: CVE-2021-47304: tcp: fix tcp_init_transfer() to not reset icsk_ca_initialized

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

tcp: fix tcp_init_transfer() to not reset icsk_ca_initialized

This commit fixes a bug (found by syzkaller) that could cause spurious
double-initializations for congestion control modules, which could cause
memory leaks or other problems for congestion control modules (like CDG)
that allocate memory in their init functions.

The buggy scenario constructed by syzkaller was something like:

(1) create a TCP socket
(2) initiate a TFO connect via sendto()
(3) while socket is in TCP_SYN_SENT, call setsockopt(TCP_CONGESTION),
    which calls:
       tcp_set_congestion_control() ->
         tcp_reinit_congestion_control() ->
           tcp_init_congestion_control()
(4) receive ACK, connection is established, call tcp_init_transfer(),
    set icsk_ca_initialized=0 (without first calling cc->release()),
    call tcp_init_congestion_control() again.

Note that in this sequence tcp_init_congestion_control() is called
twice without a cc->release() call in between. Thus, for CC modules
that allocate memory in their init() function, e.g, CDG, a memory leak
may occur. The syzkaller tool managed to find a reproducer that
triggered such a leak in CDG.

The bug was introduced when that commit 8919a9b31eb4 ("tcp: Only init
congestion control if not initialized already")
introduced icsk_ca_initialized and set icsk_ca_initialized to 0 in
tcp_init_transfer(), missing the possibility for a sequence like the
one above, where a process could call setsockopt(TCP_CONGESTION) in
state TCP_SYN_SENT (i.e. after the connect() or TFO open sendmsg()),
which would call tcp_init_congestion_control(). It did not intend to
reset any initialization that the user had already explicitly made;
it just missed the possibility of that particular sequence (which
syzkaller managed to find).

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47304 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 8919a9b31eb4 and fixed in 5.10.53 with commit ad4ba3404931
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 8919a9b31eb4 and fixed in 5.13.5 with commit fe77b85828ca
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 8919a9b31eb4 and fixed in 5.14 with commit be5d1b61a2ad

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47304
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/ipv4/tcp_input.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ad4ba3404931745a5977ad12db4f0c34080e52f7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fe77b85828ca9ddc42977b79de9e40d18545b4fe
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/be5d1b61a2ad28c7e57fe8bfa277373e8ecffcdc