Subject: CVE-2021-47303: bpf: Track subprog poke descriptors correctly and fix use-after-free

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

bpf: Track subprog poke descriptors correctly and fix use-after-free

Subprograms are calling map_poke_track(), but on program release there is no
hook to call map_poke_untrack(). However, on program release, the aux memory
(and poke descriptor table) is freed even though we still have a reference to
it in the element list of the map aux data. When we run map_poke_run(), we then
end up accessing free'd memory, triggering KASAN in prog_array_map_poke_run():

  [...]
  [  402.824689] BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in prog_array_map_poke_run+0xc2/0x34e
  [  402.824698] Read of size 4 at addr ffff8881905a7940 by task hubble-fgs/4337
  [  402.824705] CPU: 1 PID: 4337 Comm: hubble-fgs Tainted: G          I       5.12.0+ #399
  [  402.824715] Call Trace:
  [  402.824719]  dump_stack+0x93/0xc2
  [  402.824727]  print_address_description.constprop.0+0x1a/0x140
  [  402.824736]  ? prog_array_map_poke_run+0xc2/0x34e
  [  402.824740]  ? prog_array_map_poke_run+0xc2/0x34e
  [  402.824744]  kasan_report.cold+0x7c/0xd8
  [  402.824752]  ? prog_array_map_poke_run+0xc2/0x34e
  [  402.824757]  prog_array_map_poke_run+0xc2/0x34e
  [  402.824765]  bpf_fd_array_map_update_elem+0x124/0x1a0
  [...]

The elements concerned are walked as follows:

    for (i = 0; i < elem->aux->size_poke_tab; i++) {
           poke = &elem->aux->poke_tab[i];
    [...]

The access to size_poke_tab is a 4 byte read, verified by checking offsets
in the KASAN dump:

  [  402.825004] The buggy address belongs to the object at ffff8881905a7800
                 which belongs to the cache kmalloc-1k of size 1024
  [  402.825008] The buggy address is located 320 bytes inside of
                 1024-byte region [ffff8881905a7800, ffff8881905a7c00)

The pahole output of bpf_prog_aux:

  struct bpf_prog_aux {
    [...]
    /* --- cacheline 5 boundary (320 bytes) --- */
    u32                        size_poke_tab;        /*   320     4 */
    [...]

In general, subprograms do not necessarily manage their own data structures.
For example, BTF func_info and linfo are just pointers to the main program
structure. This allows reference counting and cleanup to be done on the latter
which simplifies their management a bit. The aux->poke_tab struct, however,
did not follow this logic. The initial proposed fix for this use-after-free
bug further embedded poke data tracking into the subprogram with proper
reference counting. However, Daniel and Alexei questioned why we were treating
these objects special; I agree, its unnecessary. The fix here removes the per
subprogram poke table allocation and map tracking and instead simply points
the aux->poke_tab pointer at the main programs poke table. This way, map
tracking is simplified to the main program and we do not need to manage them
per subprogram.

This also means, bpf_prog_free_deferred(), which unwinds the program reference
counting and kfrees objects, needs to ensure that we don't try to double free
the poke_tab when free'ing the subprog structures. This is easily solved by
NULL'ing the poke_tab pointer. The second detail is to ensure that per
subprogram JIT logic only does fixups on poke_tab[] entries it owns. To do
this, we add a pointer in the poke structure to point at the subprogram value
so JITs can easily check while walking the poke_tab structure if the current
entry belongs to the current program. The aux pointer is stable and therefore
suitable for such comparison. On the jit_subprogs() error path, we omit
cleaning up the poke->aux field because these are only ever referenced from
the JIT side, but on error we will never make it to the JIT, so its fine to
leave them dangling. Removing these pointers would complicate the error path
for no reason. However, we do need to untrack all poke descriptors from the
main program as otherwise they could race with the freeing of JIT memory from
the subprograms. Lastly, a748c6975dea3 ("bpf: propagate poke descriptors to
subprograms") had an off-by-one on the subprogram instruction index range
check as it was testing 'insn_idx >= subprog_start && insn_idx <= subprog_end'.
However, subprog_end is the next subprogram's start instruction.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47303 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit a748c6975dea and fixed in 5.10.53 with commit a9f36bf3613c
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit a748c6975dea and fixed in 5.13.5 with commit 599148d40366
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit a748c6975dea and fixed in 5.14 with commit f263a81451c1

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47303
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	arch/x86/net/bpf_jit_comp.c
	include/linux/bpf.h
	kernel/bpf/core.c
	kernel/bpf/verifier.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a9f36bf3613c65cb587c70fac655c775d911409b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/599148d40366bd5d1d504a3a8fcd65e21107e500
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f263a81451c12da5a342d90572e317e611846f2c