Subject: CVE-2021-47267: usb: fix various gadget panics on 10gbps cabling

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

usb: fix various gadget panics on 10gbps cabling

usb_assign_descriptors() is called with 5 parameters,
the last 4 of which are the usb_descriptor_header for:
  full-speed (USB1.1 - 12Mbps [including USB1.0 low-speed @ 1.5Mbps),
  high-speed (USB2.0 - 480Mbps),
  super-speed (USB3.0 - 5Gbps),
  super-speed-plus (USB3.1 - 10Gbps).

The differences between full/high/super-speed descriptors are usually
substantial (due to changes in the maximum usb block size from 64 to 512
to 1024 bytes and other differences in the specs), while the difference
between 5 and 10Gbps descriptors may be as little as nothing
(in many cases the same tuning is simply good enough).

However if a gadget driver calls usb_assign_descriptors() with
a NULL descriptor for super-speed-plus and is then used on a max 10gbps
configuration, the kernel will crash with a null pointer dereference,
when a 10gbps capable device port + cable + host port combination shows up.
(This wouldn't happen if the gadget max-speed was set to 5gbps, but
it of course defaults to the maximum, and there's no real reason to
artificially limit it)

The fix is to simply use the 5gbps descriptor as the 10gbps descriptor,
if a 10gbps descriptor wasn't provided.

Obviously this won't fix the problem if the 5gbps descriptor is also
NULL, but such cases can't be so trivially solved (and any such gadgets
are unlikely to be used with USB3 ports any way).

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47267 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 4.9.273 with commit fd24be23abf3
	Fixed in 4.14.237 with commit 70cd19cb5bd9
	Fixed in 4.19.195 with commit 45f9a2fe737d
	Fixed in 5.4.126 with commit 5ef23506695b
	Fixed in 5.10.44 with commit b972eff87463
	Fixed in 5.12.11 with commit ca6bc277430d
	Fixed in 5.13 with commit 032e288097a5

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47267
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/usb/gadget/config.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fd24be23abf3e94260be0f00bb42c7e91d495f87
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/70cd19cb5bd94bbb5bacfc9c1e4ee0071699a604
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/45f9a2fe737dc0a5df270787f2231aee8985cd59
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5ef23506695b01d5d56a13a092a97f2478069d75
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b972eff874637402ddc4a7dd11fb22538a0b6d28
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ca6bc277430d90375452b60b047763a090b7673e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/032e288097a553db5653af552dd8035cd2a0ba96