Subject: CVE-2021-47169: serial: rp2: use 'request_firmware' instead of 'request_firmware_nowait'

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

serial: rp2: use 'request_firmware' instead of 'request_firmware_nowait'

In 'rp2_probe', the driver registers 'rp2_uart_interrupt' then calls
'rp2_fw_cb' through 'request_firmware_nowait'. In 'rp2_fw_cb', if the
firmware don't exists, function just return without initializing ports
of 'rp2_card'. But now the interrupt handler function has been
registered, and when an interrupt comes, 'rp2_uart_interrupt' may access
those ports then causing NULL pointer dereference or other bugs.

Because the driver does some initialization work in 'rp2_fw_cb', in
order to make the driver ready to handle interrupts, 'request_firmware'
should be used instead of asynchronous 'request_firmware_nowait'.

This report reveals it:

INFO: trying to register non-static key.
the code is fine but needs lockdep annotation.
turning off the locking correctness validator.
CPU: 2 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/2 Not tainted 4.19.177-gdba4159c14ef-dirty #45
Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009), BIOS rel-1.12.0-59-
gc9ba5276e321-prebuilt.qemu.org 04/01/2014
Call Trace:
 <IRQ>
 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:77 [inline]
 dump_stack+0xec/0x156 lib/dump_stack.c:118
 assign_lock_key kernel/locking/lockdep.c:727 [inline]
 register_lock_class+0x14e5/0x1ba0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:753
 __lock_acquire+0x187/0x3750 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3303
 lock_acquire+0x124/0x340 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3907
 __raw_spin_lock include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:142 [inline]
 _raw_spin_lock+0x32/0x50 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:144
 spin_lock include/linux/spinlock.h:329 [inline]
 rp2_ch_interrupt drivers/tty/serial/rp2.c:466 [inline]
 rp2_asic_interrupt.isra.9+0x15d/0x990 drivers/tty/serial/rp2.c:493
 rp2_uart_interrupt+0x49/0xe0 drivers/tty/serial/rp2.c:504
 __handle_irq_event_percpu+0xfb/0x770 kernel/irq/handle.c:149
 handle_irq_event_percpu+0x79/0x150 kernel/irq/handle.c:189
 handle_irq_event+0xac/0x140 kernel/irq/handle.c:206
 handle_fasteoi_irq+0x232/0x5c0 kernel/irq/chip.c:725
 generic_handle_irq_desc include/linux/irqdesc.h:155 [inline]
 handle_irq+0x230/0x3a0 arch/x86/kernel/irq_64.c:87
 do_IRQ+0xa7/0x1e0 arch/x86/kernel/irq.c:247
 common_interrupt+0xf/0xf arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:670
 </IRQ>
RIP: 0010:native_safe_halt+0x28/0x30 arch/x86/include/asm/irqflags.h:61
Code: 00 00 55 be 04 00 00 00 48 c7 c7 00 c2 2f 8c 48 89 e5 e8 fb 31 e7 f8
8b 05 75 af 8d 03 85 c0 7e 07 0f 00 2d 8a 61 65 00 fb f4 <5d> c3 90 90 90
90 90 90 0f 1f 44 00 00 55 48 89 e5 41 57 41 56 41
RSP: 0018:ffff88806b71fcc8 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: ffffffffffffffde
RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffffffff8bde7e48 RCX: ffffffff88a21285
RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: 0000000000000004 RDI: ffffffff8c2fc200
RBP: ffff88806b71fcc8 R08: fffffbfff185f840 R09: fffffbfff185f840
R10: 0000000000000001 R11: fffffbfff185f840 R12: 0000000000000002
R13: ffffffff8bea18a0 R14: 0000000000000000 R15: 0000000000000000
 arch_safe_halt arch/x86/include/asm/paravirt.h:94 [inline]
 default_idle+0x6f/0x360 arch/x86/kernel/process.c:557
 arch_cpu_idle+0xf/0x20 arch/x86/kernel/process.c:548
 default_idle_call+0x3b/0x60 kernel/sched/idle.c:93
 cpuidle_idle_call kernel/sched/idle.c:153 [inline]
 do_idle+0x2ab/0x3c0 kernel/sched/idle.c:263
 cpu_startup_entry+0xcb/0xe0 kernel/sched/idle.c:369
 start_secondary+0x3b8/0x4e0 arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c:271
 secondary_startup_64+0xa4/0xb0 arch/x86/kernel/head_64.S:243
BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000010
PGD 8000000056d27067 P4D 8000000056d27067 PUD 56d28067 PMD 0
Oops: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP KASAN PTI
CPU: 2 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/2 Not tainted 4.19.177-gdba4159c14ef-dirty #45
Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009), BIOS rel-1.12.0-59-
gc9ba5276e321-prebuilt.qemu.org 04/01/2014
RIP: 0010:readl arch/x86/include/asm/io.h:59 [inline]
RIP: 0010:rp2_ch_interrupt drivers/tty/serial/rp2.c:472 [inline]
RIP: 0010:rp2_asic_interrupt.isra.9+0x181/0x990 drivers/tty/serial/rp2.c:
493
Code: df e8 43 5d c2 05 48 8d 83 e8 01 00 00 48 89 85 60 ff ff ff 48 c1 e8
03 42 80 3c 30 00 0f 85 aa 07 00 00 48 8b 83 e8 01 00 00 <8b> 40 10 89 c1
89 85 68 ff ff ff 48 8b 83 e8 01 00 00 89 48 10 83
RSP: 0018:ffff88806c287cd0 EFLAGS: 00010046
RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffff88806ade6820 RCX: ffffffff814300b1
RDX: 1ffff1100d5bcd06 RSI: 0000000000000004 RDI: ffff88806ade6820
RBP: ffff88806c287db8 R08: ffffed100d5bcd05 R09: ffffed100d5bcd05
R10: 0000000000000001 R11: ffffed100d5bcd04 R12: ffffc90001e00000
R13: ffff888069654e10 R14: dffffc0000000000 R15: ffff888069654df0
FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff88806c280000(0000) knlGS:
0000000000000000
CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
CR2: 0000000000000010 CR3: 000000006892c000 CR4: 00000000000006e0
DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2: 0000000000000000
DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000fffe0ff0 DR7: 0000000000000400
Call Trace:
 <IRQ>
 rp2_uart_interrupt+0x49/0xe0 drivers/tty/serial/rp2.c:504
 __handle_irq_event_percpu+0xfb/0x770 kernel/irq/handle.c:149
 handle_irq_event_percpu+0x79/0x150 kernel/irq/handle.c:189
 handle_irq_event+0xac/0x140 kernel/irq/handle.c:206
 handle_fasteoi_irq+0x232/0x5c0 kernel/irq/chip.c:725
 generic_handle_irq_desc include/linux/irqdesc.h:155 [inline]
 handle_irq+0x230/0x3a0 arch/x86/kernel/irq_64.c:87
 do_IRQ+0xa7/0x1e0 arch/x86/kernel/irq.c:247
 common_interrupt+0xf/0xf arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:670
 </IRQ>
RIP: 0010:native_safe_halt+0x28/0x30 arch/x86/include/asm/irqflags.h:61
Code: 00 00 55 be 04 00 00 00 48 c7 c7 00 c2 2f 8c 48 89 e5 e8 fb 31 e7
f8 8b 05 75 af 8d 03 85 c0 7e 07 0f 00 2d 8a 61 65 00 fb f4 <5d> c3 90
90 90 90 90 90 0f 1f 44 00 00 55 48 89 e5 41 57 41 56 41
RSP: 0018:ffff88806b71fcc8 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: ffffffffffffffde
RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffffffff8bde7e48 RCX: ffffffff88a21285
RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: 0000000000000004 RDI: ffffffff8c2fc200
RBP: ffff88806b71fcc8 R08: fffffbfff185f840 R09: fffffbfff185f840
R10: 0000000000000001 R11: fffffbfff185f840 R12: 0000000000000002
R13: ffffffff8bea18a0 R14: 0000000000000000 R15: 0000000000000000
 arch_safe_halt arch/x86/include/asm/paravirt.h:94 [inline]
 default_idle+0x6f/0x360 arch/x86/kernel/process.c:557
 arch_cpu_idle+0xf/0x20 arch/x86/kernel/process.c:548
 default_idle_call+0x3b/0x60 kernel/sched/idle.c:93
 cpuidle_idle_call kernel/sched/idle.c:153 [inline]
 do_idle+0x2ab/0x3c0 kernel/sched/idle.c:263
 cpu_startup_entry+0xcb/0xe0 kernel/sched/idle.c:369
 start_secondary+0x3b8/0x4e0 arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c:271
 secondary_startup_64+0xa4/0xb0 arch/x86/kernel/head_64.S:243
Modules linked in:
Dumping ftrace buffer:
   (ftrace buffer empty)
CR2: 0000000000000010
---[ end trace 11804dbb55cb1a64 ]---
RIP: 0010:readl arch/x86/include/asm/io.h:59 [inline]
RIP: 0010:rp2_ch_interrupt drivers/tty/serial/rp2.c:472 [inline]
RIP: 0010:rp2_asic_interrupt.isra.9+0x181/0x990 drivers/tty/serial/rp2.c:
493
Code: df e8 43 5d c2 05 48 8d 83 e8 01 00 00 48 89 85 60 ff ff ff 48 c1
e8 03 42 80 3c 30 00 0f 85 aa 07 00 00 48 8b 83 e8 01 00 00 <8b> 40 10 89
c1 89 85 68 ff ff ff 48 8b 83 e8 01 00 00 89 48 10 83
RSP: 0018:ffff88806c287cd0 EFLAGS: 00010046
RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffff88806ade6820 RCX: ffffffff814300b1
RDX: 1ffff1100d5bcd06 RSI: 0000000000000004 RDI: ffff88806ade6820
RBP: ffff88806c287db8 R08: ffffed100d5bcd05 R09: ffffed100d5bcd05
R10: 0000000000000001 R11: ffffed100d5bcd04 R12: ffffc90001e00000
R13: ffff888069654e10 R14: dffffc0000000000 R15: ffff888069654df0
FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff88806c280000(0000) knlGS:
0000000000000000
CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
CR2: 0000000000000010 CR3: 000000006892c000 CR4: 00000000000006e0
DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2: 0000000000000000
DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000fffe0ff0 DR7: 0000000000000400

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47169 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 4.4.271 with commit 1e04d5d5fe5e
	Fixed in 4.9.271 with commit c697244ce940
	Fixed in 4.14.235 with commit 1cc57cb32c84
	Fixed in 4.19.193 with commit 35265552c7fe
	Fixed in 5.4.124 with commit 915452f40e2f
	Fixed in 5.10.42 with commit 6a931ceb0b94
	Fixed in 5.12.9 with commit 9b07b6973f73
	Fixed in 5.13 with commit 016002848c82

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47169
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/tty/serial/rp2.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1e04d5d5fe5e76af68f834e1941fcbfa439653be
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c697244ce940ec07e2d745ccb63ca97fc0266fbc
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1cc57cb32c84e059bd158494f746b665fc14d1b1
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/35265552c7fe9553c75e324c80f45e28ff14eb6e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/915452f40e2f495e187276c4407a4f567ec2307e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6a931ceb0b9401fe18d0c500e08164bf9cc7be4b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9b07b6973f7359e2dd6a9fe6db0c142634c823b7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/016002848c82eeb5d460489ce392d91fe18c475c