Subject: CVE-2021-47128: bpf, lockdown, audit: Fix buggy SELinux lockdown permission checks

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

bpf, lockdown, audit: Fix buggy SELinux lockdown permission checks

Commit 59438b46471a ("security,lockdown,selinux: implement SELinux lockdown")
added an implementation of the locked_down LSM hook to SELinux, with the aim
to restrict which domains are allowed to perform operations that would breach
lockdown. This is indirectly also getting audit subsystem involved to report
events. The latter is problematic, as reported by Ondrej and Serhei, since it
can bring down the whole system via audit:

  1) The audit events that are triggered due to calls to security_locked_down()
     can OOM kill a machine, see below details [0].

  2) It also seems to be causing a deadlock via avc_has_perm()/slow_avc_audit()
     when trying to wake up kauditd, for example, when using trace_sched_switch()
     tracepoint, see details in [1]. Triggering this was not via some hypothetical
     corner case, but with existing tools like runqlat & runqslower from bcc, for
     example, which make use of this tracepoint. Rough call sequence goes like:

     rq_lock(rq) -> -------------------------+
       trace_sched_switch() ->               |
         bpf_prog_xyz() ->                   +-> deadlock
           selinux_lockdown() ->             |
             audit_log_end() ->              |
               wake_up_interruptible() ->    |
                 try_to_wake_up() ->         |
                   rq_lock(rq) --------------+

What's worse is that the intention of 59438b46471a to further restrict lockdown
settings for specific applications in respect to the global lockdown policy is
completely broken for BPF. The SELinux policy rule for the current lockdown check
looks something like this:

  allow <who> <who> : lockdown { <reason> };

However, this doesn't match with the 'current' task where the security_locked_down()
is executed, example: httpd does a syscall. There is a tracing program attached
to the syscall which triggers a BPF program to run, which ends up doing a
bpf_probe_read_kernel{,_str}() helper call. The selinux_lockdown() hook does
the permission check against 'current', that is, httpd in this example. httpd
has literally zero relation to this tracing program, and it would be nonsensical
having to write an SELinux policy rule against httpd to let the tracing helper
pass. The policy in this case needs to be against the entity that is installing
the BPF program. For example, if bpftrace would generate a histogram of syscall
counts by user space application:

  bpftrace -e 'tracepoint:raw_syscalls:sys_enter { @[comm] = count(); }'

bpftrace would then go and generate a BPF program from this internally. One way
of doing it [for the sake of the example] could be to call bpf_get_current_task()
helper and then access current->comm via one of bpf_probe_read_kernel{,_str}()
helpers. So the program itself has nothing to do with httpd or any other random
app doing a syscall here. The BPF program _explicitly initiated_ the lockdown
check. The allow/deny policy belongs in the context of bpftrace: meaning, you
want to grant bpftrace access to use these helpers, but other tracers on the
system like my_random_tracer _not_.

Therefore fix all three issues at the same time by taking a completely different
approach for the security_locked_down() hook, that is, move the check into the
program verification phase where we actually retrieve the BPF func proto. This
also reliably gets the task (current) that is trying to install the BPF tracing
program, e.g. bpftrace/bcc/perf/systemtap/etc, and it also fixes the OOM since
we're moving this out of the BPF helper's fast-path which can be called several
millions of times per second.

The check is then also in line with other security_locked_down() hooks in the
system where the enforcement is performed at open/load time, for example,
open_kcore() for /proc/kcore access or module_sig_check() for module signatures
just to pick few random ones. What's out of scope in the fix as well as in
other security_locked_down() hook locations /outside/ of BPF subsystem is that
if the lockdown policy changes on the fly there is no retrospective action.
This requires a different discussion, potentially complex infrastructure, and
it's also not clear whether this can be solved generically. Either way, it is
out of scope for a suitable stable fix which this one is targeting. Note that
the breakage is specifically on 59438b46471a where it started to rely on 'current'
as UAPI behavior, and _not_ earlier infrastructure such as 9d1f8be5cf42 ("bpf:
Restrict bpf when kernel lockdown is in confidentiality mode").

[0] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1955585, Jakub Hrozek says:

  I starting seeing this with F-34. When I run a container that is traced with
  BPF to record the syscalls it is doing, auditd is flooded with messages like:

  type=AVC msg=audit(1619784520.593:282387): avc:  denied  { confidentiality }
    for pid=476 comm="auditd" lockdown_reason="use of bpf to read kernel RAM"
      scontext=system_u:system_r:auditd_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:system_r:auditd_t:s0
        tclass=lockdown permissive=0

  This seems to be leading to auditd running out of space in the backlog buffer
  and eventually OOMs the machine.

  [...]
  auditd running at 99% CPU presumably processing all the messages, eventually I get:
  Apr 30 12:20:42 fedora kernel: audit: backlog limit exceeded
  Apr 30 12:20:42 fedora kernel: audit: backlog limit exceeded
  Apr 30 12:20:42 fedora kernel: audit: audit_backlog=2152579 > audit_backlog_limit=64
  Apr 30 12:20:42 fedora kernel: audit: audit_backlog=2152626 > audit_backlog_limit=64
  Apr 30 12:20:42 fedora kernel: audit: audit_backlog=2152694 > audit_backlog_limit=64
  Apr 30 12:20:42 fedora kernel: audit: audit_lost=6878426 audit_rate_limit=0 audit_backlog_limit=64
  Apr 30 12:20:45 fedora kernel: oci-seccomp-bpf invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x100cca(GFP_HIGHUSER_MOVABLE), order=0, oom_score_adj=-1000
  Apr 30 12:20:45 fedora kernel: CPU: 0 PID: 13284 Comm: oci-seccomp-bpf Not tainted 5.11.12-300.fc34.x86_64 #1
  Apr 30 12:20:45 fedora kernel: Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS 1.13.0-2.fc32 04/01/2014
  [...]

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-audit/[email-masked]/,
    Serhei Makarov says:

  Upstream kernel 5.11.0-rc7 and later was found to deadlock during a
  bpf_probe_read_compat() call within a sched_switch tracepoint. The problem
  is reproducible with the reg_alloc3 testcase from SystemTap's BPF backend
  testsuite on x86_64 as well as the runqlat, runqslower tools from bcc on
  ppc64le. Example stack trace:

  [...]
  [  730.868702] stack backtrace:
  [  730.869590] CPU: 1 PID: 701 Comm: in:imjournal Not tainted, 5.12.0-0.rc2.20210309git144c79ef3353.166.fc35.x86_64 #1
  [  730.871605] Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009), BIOS 1.13.0-2.fc32 04/01/2014
  [  730.873278] Call Trace:
  [  730.873770]  dump_stack+0x7f/0xa1
  [  730.874433]  check_noncircular+0xdf/0x100
  [  730.875232]  __lock_acquire+0x1202/0x1e10
  [  730.876031]  ? __lock_acquire+0xfc0/0x1e10
  [  730.876844]  lock_acquire+0xc2/0x3a0
  [  730.877551]  ? __wake_up_common_lock+0x52/0x90
  [  730.878434]  ? lock_acquire+0xc2/0x3a0
  [  730.879186]  ? lock_is_held_type+0xa7/0x120
  [  730.880044]  ? skb_queue_tail+0x1b/0x50
  [  730.880800]  _raw_spin_lock_irqsave+0x4d/0x90
  [  730.881656]  ? __wake_up_common_lock+0x52/0x90
  [  730.882532]  __wake_up_common_lock+0x52/0x90
  [  730.883375]  audit_log_end+0x5b/0x100
  [  730.884104]  slow_avc_audit+0x69/0x90
  [  730.884836]  avc_has_perm+0x8b/0xb0
  [  730.885532]  selinux_lockdown+0xa5/0xd0
  [  730.886297]  security_locked_down+0x20/0x40
  [  730.887133]  bpf_probe_read_compat+0x66/0xd0
  [  730.887983]  bpf_prog_250599c5469ac7b5+0x10f/0x820
  [  730.888917]  trace_call_bpf+0xe9/0x240
  [  730.889672]  perf_trace_run_bpf_submit+0x4d/0xc0
  [  730.890579]  perf_trace_sched_switch+0x142/0x180
  [  730.891485]  ? __schedule+0x6d8/0xb20
  [  730.892209]  __schedule+0x6d8/0xb20
  [  730.892899]  schedule+0x5b/0xc0
  [  730.893522]  exit_to_user_mode_prepare+0x11d/0x240
  [  730.894457]  syscall_exit_to_user_mode+0x27/0x70
  [  730.895361]  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae
  [...]

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47128 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.6 with commit 59438b46471a and fixed in 5.10.43 with commit ff5039ec75c8
	Issue introduced in 5.6 with commit 59438b46471a and fixed in 5.12.10 with commit acc43fc6cf0d
	Issue introduced in 5.6 with commit 59438b46471a and fixed in 5.13 with commit ff40e51043af

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47128
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	kernel/bpf/helpers.c
	kernel/trace/bpf_trace.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ff5039ec75c83d2ed5b781dc7733420ee8c985fc
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/acc43fc6cf0d50612193813c5906a1ab9d433e1e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ff40e51043af63715ab413995ff46996ecf9583f