Subject: CVE-2021-47106: netfilter: nf_tables: fix use-after-free in nft_set_catchall_destroy()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

netfilter: nf_tables: fix use-after-free in nft_set_catchall_destroy()

We need to use list_for_each_entry_safe() iterator
because we can not access @catchall after kfree_rcu() call.

syzbot reported:

BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in nft_set_catchall_destroy net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:4486 [inline]
BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in nft_set_destroy net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:4504 [inline]
BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in nft_set_destroy+0x3fd/0x4f0 net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:4493
Read of size 8 at addr ffff8880716e5b80 by task syz-executor.3/8871

CPU: 1 PID: 8871 Comm: syz-executor.3 Not tainted 5.16.0-rc5-syzkaller #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 01/01/2011
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:88 [inline]
 dump_stack_lvl+0xcd/0x134 lib/dump_stack.c:106
 print_address_description.constprop.0.cold+0x8d/0x2ed mm/kasan/report.c:247
 __kasan_report mm/kasan/report.c:433 [inline]
 kasan_report.cold+0x83/0xdf mm/kasan/report.c:450
 nft_set_catchall_destroy net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:4486 [inline]
 nft_set_destroy net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:4504 [inline]
 nft_set_destroy+0x3fd/0x4f0 net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:4493
 __nft_release_table+0x79f/0xcd0 net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:9626
 nft_rcv_nl_event+0x4f8/0x670 net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:9688
 notifier_call_chain+0xb5/0x200 kernel/notifier.c:83
 blocking_notifier_call_chain kernel/notifier.c:318 [inline]
 blocking_notifier_call_chain+0x67/0x90 kernel/notifier.c:306
 netlink_release+0xcb6/0x1dd0 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:788
 __sock_release+0xcd/0x280 net/socket.c:649
 sock_close+0x18/0x20 net/socket.c:1314
 __fput+0x286/0x9f0 fs/file_table.c:280
 task_work_run+0xdd/0x1a0 kernel/task_work.c:164
 tracehook_notify_resume include/linux/tracehook.h:189 [inline]
 exit_to_user_mode_loop kernel/entry/common.c:175 [inline]
 exit_to_user_mode_prepare+0x27e/0x290 kernel/entry/common.c:207
 __syscall_exit_to_user_mode_work kernel/entry/common.c:289 [inline]
 syscall_exit_to_user_mode+0x19/0x60 kernel/entry/common.c:300
 do_syscall_64+0x42/0xb0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:86
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae
RIP: 0033:0x7f75fbf28adb
Code: 0f 05 48 3d 00 f0 ff ff 77 45 c3 0f 1f 40 00 48 83 ec 18 89 7c 24 0c e8 63 fc ff ff 8b 7c 24 0c 41 89 c0 b8 03 00 00 00 0f 05 <48> 3d 00 f0 ff ff 77 35 44 89 c7 89 44 24 0c e8 a1 fc ff ff 8b 44
RSP: 002b:00007ffd8da7ec10 EFLAGS: 00000293 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000003
RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: 0000000000000004 RCX: 00007f75fbf28adb
RDX: 00007f75fc08e828 RSI: ffffffffffffffff RDI: 0000000000000003
RBP: 00007f75fc08a960 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 00007f75fc08e830
R10: 00007ffd8da7ed10 R11: 0000000000000293 R12: 00000000002067c3
R13: 00007ffd8da7ed10 R14: 00007f75fc088f60 R15: 0000000000000032
 </TASK>

Allocated by task 8886:
 kasan_save_stack+0x1e/0x50 mm/kasan/common.c:38
 kasan_set_track mm/kasan/common.c:46 [inline]
 set_alloc_info mm/kasan/common.c:434 [inline]
 ____kasan_kmalloc mm/kasan/common.c:513 [inline]
 ____kasan_kmalloc mm/kasan/common.c:472 [inline]
 __kasan_kmalloc+0xa6/0xd0 mm/kasan/common.c:522
 kasan_kmalloc include/linux/kasan.h:269 [inline]
 kmem_cache_alloc_trace+0x1ea/0x4a0 mm/slab.c:3575
 kmalloc include/linux/slab.h:590 [inline]
 nft_setelem_catchall_insert net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:5544 [inline]
 nft_setelem_insert net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:5562 [inline]
 nft_add_set_elem+0x232e/0x2f40 net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:5936
 nf_tables_newsetelem+0x6ff/0xbb0 net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:6032
 nfnetlink_rcv_batch+0x1710/0x25f0 net/netfilter/nfnetlink.c:513
 nfnetlink_rcv_skb_batch net/netfilter/nfnetlink.c:634 [inline]
 nfnetlink_rcv+0x3af/0x420 net/netfilter/nfnetlink.c:652
 netlink_unicast_kernel net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1319 [inline]
 netlink_unicast+0x533/0x7d0 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1345
 netlink_sendmsg+0x904/0xdf0 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1921
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:704 [inline]
 sock_sendmsg+0xcf/0x120 net/socket.c:724
 ____sys_sendmsg+0x6e8/0x810 net/socket.c:2409
 ___sys_sendmsg+0xf3/0x170 net/socket.c:2463
 __sys_sendmsg+0xe5/0x1b0 net/socket.c:2492
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:50 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x35/0xb0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:80
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae

Freed by task 15335:
 kasan_save_stack+0x1e/0x50 mm/kasan/common.c:38
 kasan_set_track+0x21/0x30 mm/kasan/common.c:46
 kasan_set_free_info+0x20/0x30 mm/kasan/generic.c:370
 ____kasan_slab_free mm/kasan/common.c:366 [inline]
 ____kasan_slab_free mm/kasan/common.c:328 [inline]
 __kasan_slab_free+0xd1/0x110 mm/kasan/common.c:374
 kasan_slab_free include/linux/kasan.h:235 [inline]
 __cache_free mm/slab.c:3445 [inline]
 kmem_cache_free_bulk+0x67/0x1e0 mm/slab.c:3766
 kfree_bulk include/linux/slab.h:446 [inline]
 kfree_rcu_work+0x51c/0xa10 kernel/rcu/tree.c:3273
 process_one_work+0x9b2/0x1690 kernel/workqueue.c:2298
 worker_thread+0x658/0x11f0 kernel/workqueue.c:2445
 kthread+0x405/0x4f0 kernel/kthread.c:327
 ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:295

Last potentially related work creation:
 kasan_save_stack+0x1e/0x50 mm/kasan/common.c:38
 __kasan_record_aux_stack+0xb5/0xe0 mm/kasan/generic.c:348
 kvfree_call_rcu+0x74/0x990 kernel/rcu/tree.c:3550
 nft_set_catchall_destroy net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:4489 [inline]
 nft_set_destroy net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:4504 [inline]
 nft_set_destroy+0x34a/0x4f0 net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:4493
 __nft_release_table+0x79f/0xcd0 net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:9626
 nft_rcv_nl_event+0x4f8/0x670 net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c:9688
 notifier_call_chain+0xb5/0x200 kernel/notifier.c:83
 blocking_notifier_call_chain kernel/notifier.c:318 [inline]
 blocking_notifier_call_chain+0x67/0x90 kernel/notifier.c:306
 netlink_release+0xcb6/0x1dd0 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:788
 __sock_release+0xcd/0x280 net/socket.c:649
 sock_close+0x18/0x20 net/socket.c:1314
 __fput+0x286/0x9f0 fs/file_table.c:280
 task_work_run+0xdd/0x1a0 kernel/task_work.c:164
 tracehook_notify_resume include/linux/tracehook.h:189 [inline]
 exit_to_user_mode_loop kernel/entry/common.c:175 [inline]
 exit_to_user_mode_prepare+0x27e/0x290 kernel/entry/common.c:207
 __syscall_exit_to_user_mode_work kernel/entry/common.c:289 [inline]
 syscall_exit_to_user_mode+0x19/0x60 kernel/entry/common.c:300
 do_syscall_64+0x42/0xb0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:86
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae

The buggy address belongs to the object at ffff8880716e5b80
 which belongs to the cache kmalloc-64 of size 64
The buggy address is located 0 bytes inside of
 64-byte region [ffff8880716e5b80, ffff8880716e5bc0)
The buggy address belongs to the page:
page:ffffea0001c5b940 refcount:1 mapcount:0 mapping:0000000000000000 index:0xffff8880716e5c00 pfn:0x716e5
flags: 0xfff00000000200(slab|node=0|zone=1|lastcpupid=0x7ff)
raw: 00fff00000000200 ffffea0000911848 ffffea00007c4d48 ffff888010c40200
raw: ffff8880716e5c00 ffff8880716e5000 000000010000001e 0000000000000000
page dumped because: kasan: bad access detected
page_owner tracks the page as allocated
page last allocated via order 0, migratetype Unmovable, gfp_mask 0x242040(__GFP_IO|__GFP_NOWARN|__GFP_COMP|__GFP_THISNODE), pid 3638, ts 211086074437, free_ts 211031029429
 prep_new_page mm/page_alloc.c:2418 [inline]
 get_page_from_freelist+0xa72/0x2f50 mm/page_alloc.c:4149
 __alloc_pages+0x1b2/0x500 mm/page_alloc.c:5369
 __alloc_pages_node include/linux/gfp.h:570 [inline]
 kmem_getpages mm/slab.c:1377 [inline]
 cache_grow_begin+0x75/0x470 mm/slab.c:2593
 cache_alloc_refill+0x27f/0x380 mm/slab.c:2965
 ____cache_alloc mm/slab.c:3048 [inline]
 ____cache_alloc mm/slab.c:3031 [inline]
 __do_cache_alloc mm/slab.c:3275 [inline]
 slab_alloc mm/slab.c:3316 [inline]
 __do_kmalloc mm/slab.c:3700 [inline]
 __kmalloc+0x3b3/0x4d0 mm/slab.c:3711
 kmalloc include/linux/slab.h:595 [inline]
 kzalloc include/linux/slab.h:724 [inline]
 tomoyo_get_name+0x234/0x480 security/tomoyo/memory.c:173
 tomoyo_parse_name_union+0xbc/0x160 security/tomoyo/util.c:260
 tomoyo_update_path_number_acl security/tomoyo/file.c:687 [inline]
 tomoyo_write_file+0x629/0x7f0 security/tomoyo/file.c:1034
 tomoyo_write_domain2+0x116/0x1d0 security/tomoyo/common.c:1152
 tomoyo_add_entry security/tomoyo/common.c:2042 [inline]
 tomoyo_supervisor+0xbc7/0xf00 security/tomoyo/common.c:2103
 tomoyo_audit_path_number_log security/tomoyo/file.c:235 [inline]
 tomoyo_path_number_perm+0x419/0x590 security/tomoyo/file.c:734
 security_file_ioctl+0x50/0xb0 security/security.c:1541
 __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:868 [inline]
 __se_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:860 [inline]
 __x64_sys_ioctl+0xb3/0x200 fs/ioctl.c:860
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:50 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x35/0xb0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:80
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae
page last free stack trace:
 reset_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:24 [inline]
 free_pages_prepare mm/page_alloc.c:1338 [inline]
 free_pcp_prepare+0x374/0x870 mm/page_alloc.c:1389
 free_unref_page_prepare mm/page_alloc.c:3309 [inline]
 free_unref_page+0x19/0x690 mm/page_alloc.c:3388
 slab_destroy mm/slab.c:1627 [inline]
 slabs_destroy+0x89/0xc0 mm/slab.c:1647
 cache_flusharray mm/slab.c:3418 [inline]
 ___cache_free+0x4cc/0x610 mm/slab.c:3480
 qlink_free mm/kasan/quarantine.c:146 [inline]
 qlist_free_all+0x4e/0x110 mm/kasan/quarantine.c:165
 kasan_quarantine_reduce+0x180/0x200 mm/kasan/quarantine.c:272
 __kasan_slab_alloc+0x97/0xb0 mm/kasan/common.c:444
 kasan_slab_alloc include/linux/kasan.h:259 [inline]
 slab_post_alloc_hook mm/slab.h:519 [inline]
 slab_alloc_node mm/slab.c:3261 [inline]
 kmem_cache_alloc_node+0x2ea/0x590 mm/slab.c:3599
 __alloc_skb+0x215/0x340 net/core/skbuff.c:414
 alloc_skb include/linux/skbuff.h:1126 [inline]
 nlmsg_new include/net/netlink.h:953 [inline]
 rtmsg_ifinfo_build_skb+0x72/0x1a0 net/core/rtnetlink.c:3808
 rtmsg_ifinfo_event net/core/rtnetlink.c:3844 [inline]
 rtmsg_ifinfo_event net/core/rtnetlink.c:3835 [inline]
 rtmsg_ifinfo+0x83/0x120 net/core/rtnetlink.c:3853
 netdev_state_change net/core/dev.c:1395 [inline]
 netdev_state_change+0x114/0x130 net/core/dev.c:1386
 linkwatch_do_dev+0x10e/0x150 net/core/link_watch.c:167
 __linkwatch_run_queue+0x233/0x6a0 net/core/link_watch.c:213
 linkwatch_event+0x4a/0x60 net/core/link_watch.c:252
 process_one_work+0x9b2/0x1690 kernel/workqueue.c:2298

Memory state around the buggy address:
 ffff8880716e5a80: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc
 ffff8880716e5b00: 00 00 00 00 00 00 fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc
>ffff8880716e5b80: fa fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc
                   ^
 ffff8880716e5c00: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc
 ffff8880716e5c80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47106 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.13 with commit aaa31047a6d2 and fixed in 5.15.12 with commit 9d558e5f0d6f
	Issue introduced in 5.13 with commit aaa31047a6d2 and fixed in 5.16 with commit 0f7d9b31ce7a

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47106
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9d558e5f0d6fdd0a568f73dceb0b40c4f5012e5a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0f7d9b31ce7abdbb29bf018131ac920c9f698518