Subject: CVE-2021-47103: inet: fully convert sk->sk_rx_dst to RCU rules

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

inet: fully convert sk->sk_rx_dst to RCU rules

syzbot reported various issues around early demux,
one being included in this changelog [1]

sk->sk_rx_dst is using RCU protection without clearly
documenting it.

And following sequences in tcp_v4_do_rcv()/tcp_v6_do_rcv()
are not following standard RCU rules.

[a]    dst_release(dst);
[b]    sk->sk_rx_dst = NULL;

They look wrong because a delete operation of RCU protected
pointer is supposed to clear the pointer before
the call_rcu()/synchronize_rcu() guarding actual memory freeing.

In some cases indeed, dst could be freed before [b] is done.

We could cheat by clearing sk_rx_dst before calling
dst_release(), but this seems the right time to stick
to standard RCU annotations and debugging facilities.

[1]
BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in dst_check include/net/dst.h:470 [inline]
BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in tcp_v4_early_demux+0x95b/0x960 net/ipv4/tcp_ipv4.c:1792
Read of size 2 at addr ffff88807f1cb73a by task syz-executor.5/9204

CPU: 0 PID: 9204 Comm: syz-executor.5 Not tainted 5.16.0-rc5-syzkaller #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 01/01/2011
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:88 [inline]
 dump_stack_lvl+0xcd/0x134 lib/dump_stack.c:106
 print_address_description.constprop.0.cold+0x8d/0x320 mm/kasan/report.c:247
 __kasan_report mm/kasan/report.c:433 [inline]
 kasan_report.cold+0x83/0xdf mm/kasan/report.c:450
 dst_check include/net/dst.h:470 [inline]
 tcp_v4_early_demux+0x95b/0x960 net/ipv4/tcp_ipv4.c:1792
 ip_rcv_finish_core.constprop.0+0x15de/0x1e80 net/ipv4/ip_input.c:340
 ip_list_rcv_finish.constprop.0+0x1b2/0x6e0 net/ipv4/ip_input.c:583
 ip_sublist_rcv net/ipv4/ip_input.c:609 [inline]
 ip_list_rcv+0x34e/0x490 net/ipv4/ip_input.c:644
 __netif_receive_skb_list_ptype net/core/dev.c:5508 [inline]
 __netif_receive_skb_list_core+0x549/0x8e0 net/core/dev.c:5556
 __netif_receive_skb_list net/core/dev.c:5608 [inline]
 netif_receive_skb_list_internal+0x75e/0xd80 net/core/dev.c:5699
 gro_normal_list net/core/dev.c:5853 [inline]
 gro_normal_list net/core/dev.c:5849 [inline]
 napi_complete_done+0x1f1/0x880 net/core/dev.c:6590
 virtqueue_napi_complete drivers/net/virtio_net.c:339 [inline]
 virtnet_poll+0xca2/0x11b0 drivers/net/virtio_net.c:1557
 __napi_poll+0xaf/0x440 net/core/dev.c:7023
 napi_poll net/core/dev.c:7090 [inline]
 net_rx_action+0x801/0xb40 net/core/dev.c:7177
 __do_softirq+0x29b/0x9c2 kernel/softirq.c:558
 invoke_softirq kernel/softirq.c:432 [inline]
 __irq_exit_rcu+0x123/0x180 kernel/softirq.c:637
 irq_exit_rcu+0x5/0x20 kernel/softirq.c:649
 common_interrupt+0x52/0xc0 arch/x86/kernel/irq.c:240
 asm_common_interrupt+0x1e/0x40 arch/x86/include/asm/idtentry.h:629
RIP: 0033:0x7f5e972bfd57
Code: 39 d1 73 14 0f 1f 80 00 00 00 00 48 8b 50 f8 48 83 e8 08 48 39 ca 77 f3 48 39 c3 73 3e 48 89 13 48 8b 50 f8 48 89 38 49 8b 0e <48> 8b 3e 48 83 c3 08 48 83 c6 08 eb bc 48 39 d1 72 9e 48 39 d0 73
RSP: 002b:00007fff8a413210 EFLAGS: 00000283
RAX: 00007f5e97108990 RBX: 00007f5e97108338 RCX: ffffffff81d3aa45
RDX: ffffffff81d3aa45 RSI: 00007f5e97108340 RDI: ffffffff81d3aa45
RBP: 00007f5e97107eb8 R08: 00007f5e97108d88 R09: 0000000093c2e8d9
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000000 R12: 00007f5e97107eb0
R13: 00007f5e97108338 R14: 00007f5e97107ea8 R15: 0000000000000019
 </TASK>

Allocated by task 13:
 kasan_save_stack+0x1e/0x50 mm/kasan/common.c:38
 kasan_set_track mm/kasan/common.c:46 [inline]
 set_alloc_info mm/kasan/common.c:434 [inline]
 __kasan_slab_alloc+0x90/0xc0 mm/kasan/common.c:467
 kasan_slab_alloc include/linux/kasan.h:259 [inline]
 slab_post_alloc_hook mm/slab.h:519 [inline]
 slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3234 [inline]
 slab_alloc mm/slub.c:3242 [inline]
 kmem_cache_alloc+0x202/0x3a0 mm/slub.c:3247
 dst_alloc+0x146/0x1f0 net/core/dst.c:92
 rt_dst_alloc+0x73/0x430 net/ipv4/route.c:1613
 ip_route_input_slow+0x1817/0x3a20 net/ipv4/route.c:2340
 ip_route_input_rcu net/ipv4/route.c:2470 [inline]
 ip_route_input_noref+0x116/0x2a0 net/ipv4/route.c:2415
 ip_rcv_finish_core.constprop.0+0x288/0x1e80 net/ipv4/ip_input.c:354
 ip_list_rcv_finish.constprop.0+0x1b2/0x6e0 net/ipv4/ip_input.c:583
 ip_sublist_rcv net/ipv4/ip_input.c:609 [inline]
 ip_list_rcv+0x34e/0x490 net/ipv4/ip_input.c:644
 __netif_receive_skb_list_ptype net/core/dev.c:5508 [inline]
 __netif_receive_skb_list_core+0x549/0x8e0 net/core/dev.c:5556
 __netif_receive_skb_list net/core/dev.c:5608 [inline]
 netif_receive_skb_list_internal+0x75e/0xd80 net/core/dev.c:5699
 gro_normal_list net/core/dev.c:5853 [inline]
 gro_normal_list net/core/dev.c:5849 [inline]
 napi_complete_done+0x1f1/0x880 net/core/dev.c:6590
 virtqueue_napi_complete drivers/net/virtio_net.c:339 [inline]
 virtnet_poll+0xca2/0x11b0 drivers/net/virtio_net.c:1557
 __napi_poll+0xaf/0x440 net/core/dev.c:7023
 napi_poll net/core/dev.c:7090 [inline]
 net_rx_action+0x801/0xb40 net/core/dev.c:7177
 __do_softirq+0x29b/0x9c2 kernel/softirq.c:558

Freed by task 13:
 kasan_save_stack+0x1e/0x50 mm/kasan/common.c:38
 kasan_set_track+0x21/0x30 mm/kasan/common.c:46
 kasan_set_free_info+0x20/0x30 mm/kasan/generic.c:370
 ____kasan_slab_free mm/kasan/common.c:366 [inline]
 ____kasan_slab_free mm/kasan/common.c:328 [inline]
 __kasan_slab_free+0xff/0x130 mm/kasan/common.c:374
 kasan_slab_free include/linux/kasan.h:235 [inline]
 slab_free_hook mm/slub.c:1723 [inline]
 slab_free_freelist_hook+0x8b/0x1c0 mm/slub.c:1749
 slab_free mm/slub.c:3513 [inline]
 kmem_cache_free+0xbd/0x5d0 mm/slub.c:3530
 dst_destroy+0x2d6/0x3f0 net/core/dst.c:127
 rcu_do_batch kernel/rcu/tree.c:2506 [inline]
 rcu_core+0x7ab/0x1470 kernel/rcu/tree.c:2741
 __do_softirq+0x29b/0x9c2 kernel/softirq.c:558

Last potentially related work creation:
 kasan_save_stack+0x1e/0x50 mm/kasan/common.c:38
 __kasan_record_aux_stack+0xf5/0x120 mm/kasan/generic.c:348
 __call_rcu kernel/rcu/tree.c:2985 [inline]
 call_rcu+0xb1/0x740 kernel/rcu/tree.c:3065
 dst_release net/core/dst.c:177 [inline]
 dst_release+0x79/0xe0 net/core/dst.c:167
 tcp_v4_do_rcv+0x612/0x8d0 net/ipv4/tcp_ipv4.c:1712
 sk_backlog_rcv include/net/sock.h:1030 [inline]
 __release_sock+0x134/0x3b0 net/core/sock.c:2768
 release_sock+0x54/0x1b0 net/core/sock.c:3300
 tcp_sendmsg+0x36/0x40 net/ipv4/tcp.c:1441
 inet_sendmsg+0x99/0xe0 net/ipv4/af_inet.c:819
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:704 [inline]
 sock_sendmsg+0xcf/0x120 net/socket.c:724
 sock_write_iter+0x289/0x3c0 net/socket.c:1057
 call_write_iter include/linux/fs.h:2162 [inline]
 new_sync_write+0x429/0x660 fs/read_write.c:503
 vfs_write+0x7cd/0xae0 fs/read_write.c:590
 ksys_write+0x1ee/0x250 fs/read_write.c:643
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:50 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x35/0xb0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:80
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae

The buggy address belongs to the object at ffff88807f1cb700
 which belongs to the cache ip_dst_cache of size 176
The buggy address is located 58 bytes inside of
 176-byte region [ffff88807f1cb700, ffff88807f1cb7b0)
The buggy address belongs to the page:
page:ffffea0001fc72c0 refcount:1 mapcount:0 mapping:0000000000000000 index:0x0 pfn:0x7f1cb
flags: 0xfff00000000200(slab|node=0|zone=1|lastcpupid=0x7ff)
raw: 00fff00000000200 dead000000000100 dead000000000122 ffff8881413bb780
raw: 0000000000000000 0000000000100010 00000001ffffffff 0000000000000000
page dumped because: kasan: bad access detected
page_owner tracks the page as allocated
page last allocated via order 0, migratetype Unmovable, gfp_mask 0x112a20(GFP_ATOMIC|__GFP_NOWARN|__GFP_NORETRY|__GFP_HARDWALL), pid 5, ts 108466983062, free_ts 108048976062
 prep_new_page mm/page_alloc.c:2418 [inline]
 get_page_from_freelist+0xa72/0x2f50 mm/page_alloc.c:4149
 __alloc_pages+0x1b2/0x500 mm/page_alloc.c:5369
 alloc_pages+0x1a7/0x300 mm/mempolicy.c:2191
 alloc_slab_page mm/slub.c:1793 [inline]
 allocate_slab mm/slub.c:1930 [inline]
 new_slab+0x32d/0x4a0 mm/slub.c:1993
 ___slab_alloc+0x918/0xfe0 mm/slub.c:3022
 __slab_alloc.constprop.0+0x4d/0xa0 mm/slub.c:3109
 slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3200 [inline]
 slab_alloc mm/slub.c:3242 [inline]
 kmem_cache_alloc+0x35c/0x3a0 mm/slub.c:3247
 dst_alloc+0x146/0x1f0 net/core/dst.c:92
 rt_dst_alloc+0x73/0x430 net/ipv4/route.c:1613
 __mkroute_output net/ipv4/route.c:2564 [inline]
 ip_route_output_key_hash_rcu+0x921/0x2d00 net/ipv4/route.c:2791
 ip_route_output_key_hash+0x18b/0x300 net/ipv4/route.c:2619
 __ip_route_output_key include/net/route.h:126 [inline]
 ip_route_output_flow+0x23/0x150 net/ipv4/route.c:2850
 ip_route_output_key include/net/route.h:142 [inline]
 geneve_get_v4_rt+0x3a6/0x830 drivers/net/geneve.c:809
 geneve_xmit_skb drivers/net/geneve.c:899 [inline]
 geneve_xmit+0xc4a/0x3540 drivers/net/geneve.c:1082
 __netdev_start_xmit include/linux/netdevice.h:4994 [inline]
 netdev_start_xmit include/linux/netdevice.h:5008 [inline]
 xmit_one net/core/dev.c:3590 [inline]
 dev_hard_start_xmit+0x1eb/0x920 net/core/dev.c:3606
 __dev_queue_xmit+0x299a/0x3650 net/core/dev.c:4229
page last free stack trace:
 reset_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:24 [inline]
 free_pages_prepare mm/page_alloc.c:1338 [inline]
 free_pcp_prepare+0x374/0x870 mm/page_alloc.c:1389
 free_unref_page_prepare mm/page_alloc.c:3309 [inline]
 free_unref_page+0x19/0x690 mm/page_alloc.c:3388
 qlink_free mm/kasan/quarantine.c:146 [inline]
 qlist_free_all+0x5a/0xc0 mm/kasan/quarantine.c:165
 kasan_quarantine_reduce+0x180/0x200 mm/kasan/quarantine.c:272
 __kasan_slab_alloc+0xa2/0xc0 mm/kasan/common.c:444
 kasan_slab_alloc include/linux/kasan.h:259 [inline]
 slab_post_alloc_hook mm/slab.h:519 [inline]
 slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3234 [inline]
 kmem_cache_alloc_node+0x255/0x3f0 mm/slub.c:3270
 __alloc_skb+0x215/0x340 net/core/skbuff.c:414
 alloc_skb include/linux/skbuff.h:1126 [inline]
 alloc_skb_with_frags+0x93/0x620 net/core/skbuff.c:6078
 sock_alloc_send_pskb+0x783/0x910 net/core/sock.c:2575
 mld_newpack+0x1df/0x770 net/ipv6/mcast.c:1754
 add_grhead+0x265/0x330 net/ipv6/mcast.c:1857
 add_grec+0x1053/0x14e0 net/ipv6/mcast.c:1995
 mld_send_initial_cr.part.0+0xf6/0x230 net/ipv6/mcast.c:2242
 mld_send_initial_cr net/ipv6/mcast.c:1232 [inline]
 mld_dad_work+0x1d3/0x690 net/ipv6/mcast.c:2268
 process_one_work+0x9b2/0x1690 kernel/workqueue.c:2298
 worker_thread+0x658/0x11f0 kernel/workqueue.c:2445

Memory state around the buggy address:
 ffff88807f1cb600: fa fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
 ffff88807f1cb680: fb fb fb fb fb fb fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc
>ffff88807f1cb700: fa fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
                                        ^
 ffff88807f1cb780: fb fb fb fb fb fb fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc
 ffff88807f1cb800: fa fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47103 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 3.6 with commit 41063e9dd119 and fixed in 4.9.331 with commit 68c34ce11ef2
	Issue introduced in 3.6 with commit 41063e9dd119 and fixed in 4.14.296 with commit 92e6e36ecd16
	Issue introduced in 3.6 with commit 41063e9dd119 and fixed in 4.19.262 with commit 75a578000ae5
	Issue introduced in 3.6 with commit 41063e9dd119 and fixed in 5.4.220 with commit c3bb4a7e8cbc
	Issue introduced in 3.6 with commit 41063e9dd119 and fixed in 5.10.150 with commit f039b43cbaea
	Issue introduced in 3.6 with commit 41063e9dd119 and fixed in 5.15.12 with commit 0249a4b8a554
	Issue introduced in 3.6 with commit 41063e9dd119 and fixed in 5.16 with commit 8f905c0e7354

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47103
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	include/net/sock.h
	net/ipv4/af_inet.c
	net/ipv4/tcp.c
	net/ipv4/tcp_input.c
	net/ipv4/tcp_ipv4.c
	net/ipv4/udp.c
	net/ipv6/tcp_ipv6.c
	net/ipv6/udp.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/68c34ce11ef23328692aa35fa6aaafdd75913100
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/92e6e36ecd16808866ac6172b9491b5097cde449
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/75a578000ae5e511e5d0e8433c94a14d9c99c412
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c3bb4a7e8cbc984e1cdac0fe6af60e880214ed6e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f039b43cbaea5e0700980c2f0052da05a70782e0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0249a4b8a554f2eb6a27b62516fa50168584faa4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8f905c0e7354ef261360fb7535ea079b1082c105