Subject: CVE-2021-47092: KVM: VMX: Always clear vmx->fail on emulation_required

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

KVM: VMX: Always clear vmx->fail on emulation_required

Revert a relatively recent change that set vmx->fail if the vCPU is in L2
and emulation_required is true, as that behavior is completely bogus.
Setting vmx->fail and synthesizing a VM-Exit is contradictory and wrong:

  (a) it's impossible to have both a VM-Fail and VM-Exit
  (b) vmcs.EXIT_REASON is not modified on VM-Fail
  (c) emulation_required refers to guest state and guest state checks are
      always VM-Exits, not VM-Fails.

For KVM specifically, emulation_required is handled before nested exits
in __vmx_handle_exit(), thus setting vmx->fail has no immediate effect,
i.e. KVM calls into handle_invalid_guest_state() and vmx->fail is ignored.
Setting vmx->fail can ultimately result in a WARN in nested_vmx_vmexit()
firing when tearing down the VM as KVM never expects vmx->fail to be set
when L2 is active, KVM always reflects those errors into L1.

  ------------[ cut here ]------------
  WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 21158 at arch/x86/kvm/vmx/nested.c:4548
                                nested_vmx_vmexit+0x16bd/0x17e0
                                arch/x86/kvm/vmx/nested.c:4547
  Modules linked in:
  CPU: 0 PID: 21158 Comm: syz-executor.1 Not tainted 5.16.0-rc3-syzkaller #0
  Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 01/01/2011
  RIP: 0010:nested_vmx_vmexit+0x16bd/0x17e0 arch/x86/kvm/vmx/nested.c:4547
  Code: <0f> 0b e9 2e f8 ff ff e8 57 b3 5d 00 0f 0b e9 00 f1 ff ff 89 e9 80
  Call Trace:
   vmx_leave_nested arch/x86/kvm/vmx/nested.c:6220 [inline]
   nested_vmx_free_vcpu+0x83/0xc0 arch/x86/kvm/vmx/nested.c:330
   vmx_free_vcpu+0x11f/0x2a0 arch/x86/kvm/vmx/vmx.c:6799
   kvm_arch_vcpu_destroy+0x6b/0x240 arch/x86/kvm/x86.c:10989
   kvm_vcpu_destroy+0x29/0x90 arch/x86/kvm/../../../virt/kvm/kvm_main.c:441
   kvm_free_vcpus arch/x86/kvm/x86.c:11426 [inline]
   kvm_arch_destroy_vm+0x3ef/0x6b0 arch/x86/kvm/x86.c:11545
   kvm_destroy_vm arch/x86/kvm/../../../virt/kvm/kvm_main.c:1189 [inline]
   kvm_put_kvm+0x751/0xe40 arch/x86/kvm/../../../virt/kvm/kvm_main.c:1220
   kvm_vcpu_release+0x53/0x60 arch/x86/kvm/../../../virt/kvm/kvm_main.c:3489
   __fput+0x3fc/0x870 fs/file_table.c:280
   task_work_run+0x146/0x1c0 kernel/task_work.c:164
   exit_task_work include/linux/task_work.h:32 [inline]
   do_exit+0x705/0x24f0 kernel/exit.c:832
   do_group_exit+0x168/0x2d0 kernel/exit.c:929
   get_signal+0x1740/0x2120 kernel/signal.c:2852
   arch_do_signal_or_restart+0x9c/0x730 arch/x86/kernel/signal.c:868
   handle_signal_work kernel/entry/common.c:148 [inline]
   exit_to_user_mode_loop kernel/entry/common.c:172 [inline]
   exit_to_user_mode_prepare+0x191/0x220 kernel/entry/common.c:207
   __syscall_exit_to_user_mode_work kernel/entry/common.c:289 [inline]
   syscall_exit_to_user_mode+0x2e/0x70 kernel/entry/common.c:300
   do_syscall_64+0x53/0xd0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:86
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47092 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit c8607e4a086f and fixed in 5.15.12 with commit e4e4e7cb2298
	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit c8607e4a086f and fixed in 5.16 with commit a80dfc025924

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47092
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	arch/x86/kvm/vmx/vmx.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e4e4e7cb229821cd215031abc47efdab5486a67c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a80dfc025924024d2c61a4c1b8ef62b2fce76a04