Subject: CVE-2021-47069: ipc/mqueue, msg, sem: avoid relying on a stack reference past its expiry

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ipc/mqueue, msg, sem: avoid relying on a stack reference past its expiry

do_mq_timedreceive calls wq_sleep with a stack local address.  The
sender (do_mq_timedsend) uses this address to later call pipelined_send.

This leads to a very hard to trigger race where a do_mq_timedreceive
call might return and leave do_mq_timedsend to rely on an invalid
address, causing the following crash:

  RIP: 0010:wake_q_add_safe+0x13/0x60
  Call Trace:
   __x64_sys_mq_timedsend+0x2a9/0x490
   do_syscall_64+0x80/0x680
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9
  RIP: 0033:0x7f5928e40343

The race occurs as:

1. do_mq_timedreceive calls wq_sleep with the address of `struct
   ext_wait_queue` on function stack (aliased as `ewq_addr` here) - it
   holds a valid `struct ext_wait_queue *` as long as the stack has not
   been overwritten.

2. `ewq_addr` gets added to info->e_wait_q[RECV].list in wq_add, and
   do_mq_timedsend receives it via wq_get_first_waiter(info, RECV) to call
   __pipelined_op.

3. Sender calls __pipelined_op::smp_store_release(&this->state,
   STATE_READY).  Here is where the race window begins.  (`this` is
   `ewq_addr`.)

4. If the receiver wakes up now in do_mq_timedreceive::wq_sleep, it
   will see `state == STATE_READY` and break.

5. do_mq_timedreceive returns, and `ewq_addr` is no longer guaranteed
   to be a `struct ext_wait_queue *` since it was on do_mq_timedreceive's
   stack.  (Although the address may not get overwritten until another
   function happens to touch it, which means it can persist around for an
   indefinite time.)

6. do_mq_timedsend::__pipelined_op() still believes `ewq_addr` is a
   `struct ext_wait_queue *`, and uses it to find a task_struct to pass to
   the wake_q_add_safe call.  In the lucky case where nothing has
   overwritten `ewq_addr` yet, `ewq_addr->task` is the right task_struct.
   In the unlucky case, __pipelined_op::wake_q_add_safe gets handed a
   bogus address as the receiver's task_struct causing the crash.

do_mq_timedsend::__pipelined_op() should not dereference `this` after
setting STATE_READY, as the receiver counterpart is now free to return.
Change __pipelined_op to call wake_q_add_safe on the receiver's
task_struct returned by get_task_struct, instead of dereferencing `this`
which sits on the receiver's stack.

As Manfred pointed out, the race potentially also exists in
ipc/msg.c::expunge_all and ipc/sem.c::wake_up_sem_queue_prepare.  Fix
those in the same way.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47069 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.6 with commit 0d97a82ba830 and fixed in 5.10.40 with commit 4528c0c32308
	Issue introduced in 5.6 with commit 0d97a82ba830 and fixed in 5.12.7 with commit 807fa14536b2
	Issue introduced in 5.6 with commit 0d97a82ba830 and fixed in 5.13 with commit a11ddb37bf36

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47069
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	ipc/mqueue.c
	ipc/msg.c
	ipc/sem.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4528c0c323085e645b8765913b4a7fd42cf49b65
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/807fa14536b26803b858da878b643be72952a097
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a11ddb37bf367e6b5239b95ca759e5389bb46048