Subject: CVE-2021-47038: Bluetooth: avoid deadlock between hci_dev->lock and socket lock

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

Bluetooth: avoid deadlock between hci_dev->lock and socket lock

Commit eab2404ba798 ("Bluetooth: Add BT_PHY socket option") added a
dependency between socket lock and hci_dev->lock that could lead to
deadlock.

It turns out that hci_conn_get_phy() is not in any way relying on hdev
being immutable during the runtime of this function, neither does it even
look at any of the members of hdev, and as such there is no need to hold
that lock.

This fixes the lockdep splat below:

 ======================================================
 WARNING: possible circular locking dependency detected
 5.12.0-rc1-00026-g73d464503354 #10 Not tainted
 ------------------------------------------------------
 bluetoothd/1118 is trying to acquire lock:
 ffff8f078383c078 (&hdev->lock){+.+.}-{3:3}, at: hci_conn_get_phy+0x1c/0x150 [bluetooth]

 but task is already holding lock:
 ffff8f07e831d920 (sk_lock-AF_BLUETOOTH-BTPROTO_L2CAP){+.+.}-{0:0}, at: l2cap_sock_getsockopt+0x8b/0x610

 which lock already depends on the new lock.

 the existing dependency chain (in reverse order) is:

 -> #3 (sk_lock-AF_BLUETOOTH-BTPROTO_L2CAP){+.+.}-{0:0}:
        lock_sock_nested+0x72/0xa0
        l2cap_sock_ready_cb+0x18/0x70 [bluetooth]
        l2cap_config_rsp+0x27a/0x520 [bluetooth]
        l2cap_sig_channel+0x658/0x1330 [bluetooth]
        l2cap_recv_frame+0x1ba/0x310 [bluetooth]
        hci_rx_work+0x1cc/0x640 [bluetooth]
        process_one_work+0x244/0x5f0
        worker_thread+0x3c/0x380
        kthread+0x13e/0x160
        ret_from_fork+0x22/0x30

 -> #2 (&chan->lock#2/1){+.+.}-{3:3}:
        __mutex_lock+0xa3/0xa10
        l2cap_chan_connect+0x33a/0x940 [bluetooth]
        l2cap_sock_connect+0x141/0x2a0 [bluetooth]
        __sys_connect+0x9b/0xc0
        __x64_sys_connect+0x16/0x20
        do_syscall_64+0x33/0x80
        entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae

 -> #1 (&conn->chan_lock){+.+.}-{3:3}:
        __mutex_lock+0xa3/0xa10
        l2cap_chan_connect+0x322/0x940 [bluetooth]
        l2cap_sock_connect+0x141/0x2a0 [bluetooth]
        __sys_connect+0x9b/0xc0
        __x64_sys_connect+0x16/0x20
        do_syscall_64+0x33/0x80
        entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae

 -> #0 (&hdev->lock){+.+.}-{3:3}:
        __lock_acquire+0x147a/0x1a50
        lock_acquire+0x277/0x3d0
        __mutex_lock+0xa3/0xa10
        hci_conn_get_phy+0x1c/0x150 [bluetooth]
        l2cap_sock_getsockopt+0x5a9/0x610 [bluetooth]
        __sys_getsockopt+0xcc/0x200
        __x64_sys_getsockopt+0x20/0x30
        do_syscall_64+0x33/0x80
        entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae

 other info that might help us debug this:

 Chain exists of:
   &hdev->lock --> &chan->lock#2/1 --> sk_lock-AF_BLUETOOTH-BTPROTO_L2CAP

  Possible unsafe locking scenario:

        CPU0                    CPU1
        ----                    ----
   lock(sk_lock-AF_BLUETOOTH-BTPROTO_L2CAP);
                                lock(&chan->lock#2/1);
                                lock(sk_lock-AF_BLUETOOTH-BTPROTO_L2CAP);
   lock(&hdev->lock);

  *** DEADLOCK ***

 1 lock held by bluetoothd/1118:
  #0: ffff8f07e831d920 (sk_lock-AF_BLUETOOTH-BTPROTO_L2CAP){+.+.}-{0:0}, at: l2cap_sock_getsockopt+0x8b/0x610 [bluetooth]

 stack backtrace:
 CPU: 3 PID: 1118 Comm: bluetoothd Not tainted 5.12.0-rc1-00026-g73d464503354 #10
 Hardware name: LENOVO 20K5S22R00/20K5S22R00, BIOS R0IET38W (1.16 ) 05/31/2017
 Call Trace:
  dump_stack+0x7f/0xa1
  check_noncircular+0x105/0x120
  ? __lock_acquire+0x147a/0x1a50
  __lock_acquire+0x147a/0x1a50
  lock_acquire+0x277/0x3d0
  ? hci_conn_get_phy+0x1c/0x150 [bluetooth]
  ? __lock_acquire+0x2e1/0x1a50
  ? lock_is_held_type+0xb4/0x120
  ? hci_conn_get_phy+0x1c/0x150 [bluetooth]
  __mutex_lock+0xa3/0xa10
  ? hci_conn_get_phy+0x1c/0x150 [bluetooth]
  ? lock_acquire+0x277/0x3d0
  ? mark_held_locks+0x49/0x70
  ? mark_held_locks+0x49/0x70
  ? hci_conn_get_phy+0x1c/0x150 [bluetooth]
  hci_conn_get_phy+0x1c/0x150 [bluetooth]
  l2cap_sock_getsockopt+0x5a9/0x610 [bluetooth]
  __sys_getsockopt+0xcc/0x200
  __x64_sys_getsockopt+0x20/0x30
  do_syscall_64+0x33/0x80
  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae
 RIP: 0033:0x7fb73df33eee
 Code: 48 8b 0d 85 0f 0c 00 f7 d8 64 89 01 48 83 c8 ff c3 66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 90 f3 0f 1e fa 49 89 ca b8 37 00 00 00 0f 05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 73 01 c3 48 8b 0d 52 0f 0c 00 f7 d8 64 89 01 48
 RSP: 002b:00007fffcfbbbf08 EFLAGS: 00000203 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000037
 RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 0000000000000019 RCX: 00007fb73df33eee
 RDX: 000000000000000e RSI: 0000000000000112 RDI: 0000000000000018
 RBP: 0000000000000000 R08: 00007fffcfbbbf44 R09: 0000000000000000
 R10: 00007fffcfbbbf3c R11: 0000000000000203 R12: 0000000000000000
 R13: 0000000000000018 R14: 0000000000000000 R15: 0000556fcefc70d0

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47038 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.7 with commit eab2404ba798 and fixed in 5.10.37 with commit 7cc0ba67883c
	Issue introduced in 5.7 with commit eab2404ba798 and fixed in 5.11.21 with commit fee71f480bc1
	Issue introduced in 5.7 with commit eab2404ba798 and fixed in 5.12.4 with commit 332e69eb3bd9
	Issue introduced in 5.7 with commit eab2404ba798 and fixed in 5.13 with commit 17486960d79b

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47038
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/bluetooth/hci_conn.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7cc0ba67883c6c8d3bddb283f56c167fc837a555
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fee71f480bc1dec5f6ae3b0b185ff12a62bceabc
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/332e69eb3bd90370f2d9f2c2ca7974ff523dea17
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/17486960d79b900c45e0bb8fbcac0262848582ba