Subject: CVE-2021-46997: arm64: entry: always set GIC_PRIO_PSR_I_SET during entry

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

arm64: entry: always set GIC_PRIO_PSR_I_SET during entry

Zenghui reports that booting a kernel with "irqchip.gicv3_pseudo_nmi=1"
on the command line hits a warning during kernel entry, due to the way
we manipulate the PMR.

Early in the entry sequence, we call lockdep_hardirqs_off() to inform
lockdep that interrupts have been masked (as the HW sets DAIF wqhen
entering an exception). Architecturally PMR_EL1 is not affected by
exception entry, and we don't set GIC_PRIO_PSR_I_SET in the PMR early in
the exception entry sequence, so early in exception entry the PMR can
indicate that interrupts are unmasked even though they are masked by
DAIF.

If DEBUG_LOCKDEP is selected, lockdep_hardirqs_off() will check that
interrupts are masked, before we set GIC_PRIO_PSR_I_SET in any of the
exception entry paths, and hence lockdep_hardirqs_off() will WARN() that
something is amiss.

We can avoid this by consistently setting GIC_PRIO_PSR_I_SET during
exception entry so that kernel code sees a consistent environment. We
must also update local_daif_inherit() to undo this, as currently only
touches DAIF. For other paths, local_daif_restore() will update both
DAIF and the PMR. With this done, we can remove the existing special
cases which set this later in the entry code.

We always use (GIC_PRIO_IRQON | GIC_PRIO_PSR_I_SET) for consistency with
local_daif_save(), as this will warn if it ever encounters
(GIC_PRIO_IRQOFF | GIC_PRIO_PSR_I_SET), and never sets this itself. This
matches the gic_prio_kentry_setup that we have to retain for
ret_to_user.

The original splat from Zenghui's report was:

| DEBUG_LOCKS_WARN_ON(!irqs_disabled())
| WARNING: CPU: 3 PID: 125 at kernel/locking/lockdep.c:4258 lockdep_hardirqs_off+0xd4/0xe8
| Modules linked in:
| CPU: 3 PID: 125 Comm: modprobe Tainted: G        W         5.12.0-rc8+ #463
| Hardware name: QEMU KVM Virtual Machine, BIOS 0.0.0 02/06/2015
| pstate: 604003c5 (nZCv DAIF +PAN -UAO -TCO BTYPE=--)
| pc : lockdep_hardirqs_off+0xd4/0xe8
| lr : lockdep_hardirqs_off+0xd4/0xe8
| sp : ffff80002a39bad0
| pmr_save: 000000e0
| x29: ffff80002a39bad0 x28: ffff0000de214bc0
| x27: ffff0000de1c0400 x26: 000000000049b328
| x25: 0000000000406f30 x24: ffff0000de1c00a0
| x23: 0000000020400005 x22: ffff8000105f747c
| x21: 0000000096000044 x20: 0000000000498ef9
| x19: ffff80002a39bc88 x18: ffffffffffffffff
| x17: 0000000000000000 x16: ffff800011c61eb0
| x15: ffff800011700a88 x14: 0720072007200720
| x13: 0720072007200720 x12: 0720072007200720
| x11: 0720072007200720 x10: 0720072007200720
| x9 : ffff80002a39bad0 x8 : ffff80002a39bad0
| x7 : ffff8000119f0800 x6 : c0000000ffff7fff
| x5 : ffff8000119f07a8 x4 : 0000000000000001
| x3 : 9bcdab23f2432800 x2 : ffff800011730538
| x1 : 9bcdab23f2432800 x0 : 0000000000000000
| Call trace:
|  lockdep_hardirqs_off+0xd4/0xe8
|  enter_from_kernel_mode.isra.5+0x7c/0xa8
|  el1_abort+0x24/0x100
|  el1_sync_handler+0x80/0xd0
|  el1_sync+0x6c/0x100
|  __arch_clear_user+0xc/0x90
|  load_elf_binary+0x9fc/0x1450
|  bprm_execve+0x404/0x880
|  kernel_execve+0x180/0x188
|  call_usermodehelper_exec_async+0xdc/0x158
|  ret_from_fork+0x10/0x18

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-46997 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 2a9b3e6ac69a and fixed in 5.10.38 with commit 51524fa8b5f7
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 2a9b3e6ac69a and fixed in 5.11.22 with commit e67a83f07800
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 2a9b3e6ac69a and fixed in 5.12.5 with commit d8d52005f57b
	Issue introduced in 5.10 with commit 2a9b3e6ac69a and fixed in 5.13 with commit 4d6a38da8e79

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-46997
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	arch/arm64/include/asm/daifflags.h
	arch/arm64/kernel/entry-common.c
	arch/arm64/kernel/entry.S

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/51524fa8b5f7b879ba569227738375d283b79382
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e67a83f078005461b59b4c776e6b5addd11725fa
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d8d52005f57bbb4a4ec02f647e2555d327135c68
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4d6a38da8e79e94cbd1344aa90876f0f805db705