Subject: CVE-2021-46987: btrfs: fix deadlock when cloning inline extents and using qgroups

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

btrfs: fix deadlock when cloning inline extents and using qgroups

There are a few exceptional cases where cloning an inline extent needs to
copy the inline extent data into a page of the destination inode.

When this happens, we end up starting a transaction while having a dirty
page for the destination inode and while having the range locked in the
destination's inode iotree too. Because when reserving metadata space
for a transaction we may need to flush existing delalloc in case there is
not enough free space, we have a mechanism in place to prevent a deadlock,
which was introduced in commit 3d45f221ce627d ("btrfs: fix deadlock when
cloning inline extent and low on free metadata space").

However when using qgroups, a transaction also reserves metadata qgroup
space, which can also result in flushing delalloc in case there is not
enough available space at the moment. When this happens we deadlock, since
flushing delalloc requires locking the file range in the inode's iotree
and the range was already locked at the very beginning of the clone
operation, before attempting to start the transaction.

When this issue happens, stack traces like the following are reported:

  [72747.556262] task:kworker/u81:9   state:D stack:    0 pid:  225 ppid:     2 flags:0x00004000
  [72747.556268] Workqueue: writeback wb_workfn (flush-btrfs-1142)
  [72747.556271] Call Trace:
  [72747.556273]  __schedule+0x296/0x760
  [72747.556277]  schedule+0x3c/0xa0
  [72747.556279]  io_schedule+0x12/0x40
  [72747.556284]  __lock_page+0x13c/0x280
  [72747.556287]  ? generic_file_readonly_mmap+0x70/0x70
  [72747.556325]  extent_write_cache_pages+0x22a/0x440 [btrfs]
  [72747.556331]  ? __set_page_dirty_nobuffers+0xe7/0x160
  [72747.556358]  ? set_extent_buffer_dirty+0x5e/0x80 [btrfs]
  [72747.556362]  ? update_group_capacity+0x25/0x210
  [72747.556366]  ? cpumask_next_and+0x1a/0x20
  [72747.556391]  extent_writepages+0x44/0xa0 [btrfs]
  [72747.556394]  do_writepages+0x41/0xd0
  [72747.556398]  __writeback_single_inode+0x39/0x2a0
  [72747.556403]  writeback_sb_inodes+0x1ea/0x440
  [72747.556407]  __writeback_inodes_wb+0x5f/0xc0
  [72747.556410]  wb_writeback+0x235/0x2b0
  [72747.556414]  ? get_nr_inodes+0x35/0x50
  [72747.556417]  wb_workfn+0x354/0x490
  [72747.556420]  ? newidle_balance+0x2c5/0x3e0
  [72747.556424]  process_one_work+0x1aa/0x340
  [72747.556426]  worker_thread+0x30/0x390
  [72747.556429]  ? create_worker+0x1a0/0x1a0
  [72747.556432]  kthread+0x116/0x130
  [72747.556435]  ? kthread_park+0x80/0x80
  [72747.556438]  ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x30

  [72747.566958] Workqueue: btrfs-flush_delalloc btrfs_work_helper [btrfs]
  [72747.566961] Call Trace:
  [72747.566964]  __schedule+0x296/0x760
  [72747.566968]  ? finish_wait+0x80/0x80
  [72747.566970]  schedule+0x3c/0xa0
  [72747.566995]  wait_extent_bit.constprop.68+0x13b/0x1c0 [btrfs]
  [72747.566999]  ? finish_wait+0x80/0x80
  [72747.567024]  lock_extent_bits+0x37/0x90 [btrfs]
  [72747.567047]  btrfs_invalidatepage+0x299/0x2c0 [btrfs]
  [72747.567051]  ? find_get_pages_range_tag+0x2cd/0x380
  [72747.567076]  __extent_writepage+0x203/0x320 [btrfs]
  [72747.567102]  extent_write_cache_pages+0x2bb/0x440 [btrfs]
  [72747.567106]  ? update_load_avg+0x7e/0x5f0
  [72747.567109]  ? enqueue_entity+0xf4/0x6f0
  [72747.567134]  extent_writepages+0x44/0xa0 [btrfs]
  [72747.567137]  ? enqueue_task_fair+0x93/0x6f0
  [72747.567140]  do_writepages+0x41/0xd0
  [72747.567144]  __filemap_fdatawrite_range+0xc7/0x100
  [72747.567167]  btrfs_run_delalloc_work+0x17/0x40 [btrfs]
  [72747.567195]  btrfs_work_helper+0xc2/0x300 [btrfs]
  [72747.567200]  process_one_work+0x1aa/0x340
  [72747.567202]  worker_thread+0x30/0x390
  [72747.567205]  ? create_worker+0x1a0/0x1a0
  [72747.567208]  kthread+0x116/0x130
  [72747.567211]  ? kthread_park+0x80/0x80
  [72747.567214]  ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x30

  [72747.569686] task:fsstress        state:D stack:    0 pid:841421 ppid:841417 flags:0x00000000
  [72747.569689] Call Trace:
  [72747.569691]  __schedule+0x296/0x760
  [72747.569694]  schedule+0x3c/0xa0
  [72747.569721]  try_flush_qgroup+0x95/0x140 [btrfs]
  [72747.569725]  ? finish_wait+0x80/0x80
  [72747.569753]  btrfs_qgroup_reserve_data+0x34/0x50 [btrfs]
  [72747.569781]  btrfs_check_data_free_space+0x5f/0xa0 [btrfs]
  [72747.569804]  btrfs_buffered_write+0x1f7/0x7f0 [btrfs]
  [72747.569810]  ? path_lookupat.isra.48+0x97/0x140
  [72747.569833]  btrfs_file_write_iter+0x81/0x410 [btrfs]
  [72747.569836]  ? __kmalloc+0x16a/0x2c0
  [72747.569839]  do_iter_readv_writev+0x160/0x1c0
  [72747.569843]  do_iter_write+0x80/0x1b0
  [72747.569847]  vfs_writev+0x84/0x140
  [72747.569869]  ? btrfs_file_llseek+0x38/0x270 [btrfs]
  [72747.569873]  do_writev+0x65/0x100
  [72747.569876]  do_syscall_64+0x33/0x40
  [72747.569879]  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9

  [72747.569899] task:fsstress        state:D stack:    0 pid:841424 ppid:841417 flags:0x00004000
  [72747.569903] Call Trace:
  [72747.569906]  __schedule+0x296/0x760
  [72747.569909]  schedule+0x3c/0xa0
  [72747.569936]  try_flush_qgroup+0x95/0x140 [btrfs]
  [72747.569940]  ? finish_wait+0x80/0x80
  [72747.569967]  __btrfs_qgroup_reserve_meta+0x36/0x50 [btrfs]
  [72747.569989]  start_transaction+0x279/0x580 [btrfs]
  [72747.570014]  clone_copy_inline_extent+0x332/0x490 [btrfs]
  [72747.570041]  btrfs_clone+0x5b7/0x7a0 [btrfs]
  [72747.570068]  ? lock_extent_bits+0x64/0x90 [btrfs]
  [72747.570095]  btrfs_clone_files+0xfc/0x150 [btrfs]
  [72747.570122]  btrfs_remap_file_range+0x3d8/0x4a0 [btrfs]
  [72747.570126]  do_clone_file_range+0xed/0x200
  [72747.570131]  vfs_clone_file_range+0x37/0x110
  [72747.570134]  ioctl_file_clone+0x7d/0xb0
  [72747.570137]  do_vfs_ioctl+0x138/0x630
  [72747.570140]  __x64_sys_ioctl+0x62/0xc0
  [72747.570143]  do_syscall_64+0x33/0x40
  [72747.570146]  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9

So fix this by skipping the flush of delalloc for an inode that is
flagged with BTRFS_INODE_NO_DELALLOC_FLUSH, meaning it is currently under
such a special case of cloning an inline extent, when flushing delalloc
during qgroup metadata reservation.

The special cases for cloning inline extents were added in kernel 5.7 by
by commit 05a5a7621ce66c ("Btrfs: implement full reflink support for
inline extents"), while having qgroup metadata space reservation flushing
delalloc when low on space was added in kernel 5.9 by commit
c53e9653605dbf ("btrfs: qgroup: try to flush qgroup space when we get
-EDQUOT"). So use a "Fixes:" tag for the later commit to ease stable
kernel backports.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-46987 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.9 with commit c53e9653605d and fixed in 5.11.22 with commit d5347827d0b4
	Issue introduced in 5.9 with commit c53e9653605d and fixed in 5.12.5 with commit 96157707c042
	Issue introduced in 5.9 with commit c53e9653605d and fixed in 5.13 with commit f9baa501b4fd
	Issue introduced in 5.4.141 with commit 36af2de520cc

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-46987
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/btrfs/ctree.h
	fs/btrfs/inode.c
	fs/btrfs/ioctl.c
	fs/btrfs/qgroup.c
	fs/btrfs/send.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d5347827d0b4b2250cbce6eccaa1c81dc78d8651
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/96157707c0420e3d3edfe046f1cc797fee117ade
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f9baa501b4fd6962257853d46ddffbc21f27e344