Subject: CVE-2021-46970: bus: mhi: pci_generic: Remove WQ_MEM_RECLAIM flag from state workqueue

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

bus: mhi: pci_generic: Remove WQ_MEM_RECLAIM flag from state workqueue

A recent change created a dedicated workqueue for the state-change work
with WQ_HIGHPRI (no strong reason for that) and WQ_MEM_RECLAIM flags,
but the state-change work (mhi_pm_st_worker) does not guarantee forward
progress under memory pressure, and will even wait on various memory
allocations when e.g. creating devices, loading firmware, etc... The
work is then not part of a memory reclaim path...

Moreover, this causes a warning in check_flush_dependency() since we end
up in code that flushes a non-reclaim workqueue:

[   40.969601] workqueue: WQ_MEM_RECLAIM mhi_hiprio_wq:mhi_pm_st_worker [mhi] is flushing !WQ_MEM_RECLAIM events_highpri:flush_backlog
[   40.969612] WARNING: CPU: 4 PID: 158 at kernel/workqueue.c:2607 check_flush_dependency+0x11c/0x140
[   40.969733] Call Trace:
[   40.969740]  __flush_work+0x97/0x1d0
[   40.969745]  ? wake_up_process+0x15/0x20
[   40.969749]  ? insert_work+0x70/0x80
[   40.969750]  ? __queue_work+0x14a/0x3e0
[   40.969753]  flush_work+0x10/0x20
[   40.969756]  rollback_registered_many+0x1c9/0x510
[   40.969759]  unregister_netdevice_queue+0x94/0x120
[   40.969761]  unregister_netdev+0x1d/0x30
[   40.969765]  mhi_net_remove+0x1a/0x40 [mhi_net]
[   40.969770]  mhi_driver_remove+0x124/0x250 [mhi]
[   40.969776]  device_release_driver_internal+0xf0/0x1d0
[   40.969778]  device_release_driver+0x12/0x20
[   40.969782]  bus_remove_device+0xe1/0x150
[   40.969786]  device_del+0x17b/0x3e0
[   40.969791]  mhi_destroy_device+0x9a/0x100 [mhi]
[   40.969796]  ? mhi_unmap_single_use_bb+0x50/0x50 [mhi]
[   40.969799]  device_for_each_child+0x5e/0xa0
[   40.969804]  mhi_pm_st_worker+0x921/0xf50 [mhi]

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-46970 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.11 with commit 8f7039787687 and fixed in 5.11.20 with commit abd1510c08a1
	Issue introduced in 5.11 with commit 8f7039787687 and fixed in 5.12.3 with commit ed541cff35cb
	Issue introduced in 5.11 with commit 8f7039787687 and fixed in 5.13 with commit 0fccbf0a3b69

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-46970
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/bus/mhi/core/init.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/abd1510c08a13c88d24b622a83c82e87ff1d3135
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ed541cff35cbdb695f0c98ef506dd7218883fc07
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0fccbf0a3b690b162f53b13ed8bc442ea33437dc