Subject: CVE-2021-46925: net/smc: fix kernel panic caused by race of smc_sock

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net/smc: fix kernel panic caused by race of smc_sock

A crash occurs when smc_cdc_tx_handler() tries to access smc_sock
but smc_release() has already freed it.

[ 4570.695099] BUG: unable to handle page fault for address: 000000002eae9e88
[ 4570.696048] #PF: supervisor write access in kernel mode
[ 4570.696728] #PF: error_code(0x0002) - not-present page
[ 4570.697401] PGD 0 P4D 0
[ 4570.697716] Oops: 0002 [#1] PREEMPT SMP NOPTI
[ 4570.698228] CPU: 0 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 5.16.0-rc4+ #111
[ 4570.699013] Hardware name: Alibaba Cloud Alibaba Cloud ECS, BIOS 8c24b4c 04/0
[ 4570.699933] RIP: 0010:_raw_spin_lock+0x1a/0x30
<...>
[ 4570.711446] Call Trace:
[ 4570.711746]  <IRQ>
[ 4570.711992]  smc_cdc_tx_handler+0x41/0xc0
[ 4570.712470]  smc_wr_tx_tasklet_fn+0x213/0x560
[ 4570.712981]  ? smc_cdc_tx_dismisser+0x10/0x10
[ 4570.713489]  tasklet_action_common.isra.17+0x66/0x140
[ 4570.714083]  __do_softirq+0x123/0x2f4
[ 4570.714521]  irq_exit_rcu+0xc4/0xf0
[ 4570.714934]  common_interrupt+0xba/0xe0

Though smc_cdc_tx_handler() checked the existence of smc connection,
smc_release() may have already dismissed and released the smc socket
before smc_cdc_tx_handler() further visits it.

smc_cdc_tx_handler()           |smc_release()
if (!conn)                     |
                               |
                               |smc_cdc_tx_dismiss_slots()
                               |      smc_cdc_tx_dismisser()
                               |
                               |sock_put(&smc->sk) <- last sock_put,
                               |                      smc_sock freed
bh_lock_sock(&smc->sk) (panic) |

To make sure we won't receive any CDC messages after we free the
smc_sock, add a refcount on the smc_connection for inflight CDC
message(posted to the QP but haven't received related CQE), and
don't release the smc_connection until all the inflight CDC messages
haven been done, for both success or failed ones.

Using refcount on CDC messages brings another problem: when the link
is going to be destroyed, smcr_link_clear() will reset the QP, which
then remove all the pending CQEs related to the QP in the CQ. To make
sure all the CQEs will always come back so the refcount on the
smc_connection can always reach 0, smc_ib_modify_qp_reset() was replaced
by smc_ib_modify_qp_error().
And remove the timeout in smc_wr_tx_wait_no_pending_sends() since we
need to wait for all pending WQEs done, or we may encounter use-after-
free when handling CQEs.

For IB device removal routine, we need to wait for all the QPs on that
device been destroyed before we can destroy CQs on the device, or
the refcount on smc_connection won't reach 0 and smc_sock cannot be
released.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-46925 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.11 with commit 5f08318f617b and fixed in 5.10.90 with commit e8a5988a85c7
	Issue introduced in 4.11 with commit 5f08318f617b and fixed in 5.15.13 with commit b85f751d71ae
	Issue introduced in 4.11 with commit 5f08318f617b and fixed in 5.16 with commit 349d43127dac

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-46925
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/smc/smc.h
	net/smc/smc_cdc.c
	net/smc/smc_cdc.h
	net/smc/smc_core.c
	net/smc/smc_ib.c
	net/smc/smc_ib.h
	net/smc/smc_wr.c
	net/smc/smc_wr.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e8a5988a85c719ce7205cb00dcf0716dcf611332
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b85f751d71ae8e2a15e9bda98852ea9af35282eb
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/349d43127dac00c15231e8ffbcaabd70f7b0e544