Subject: CVE-2024-44943: mm: gup: stop abusing try_grab_folio

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

mm: gup: stop abusing try_grab_folio

A kernel warning was reported when pinning folio in CMA memory when
launching SEV virtual machine.  The splat looks like:

[  464.325306] WARNING: CPU: 13 PID: 6734 at mm/gup.c:1313 __get_user_pages+0x423/0x520
[  464.325464] CPU: 13 PID: 6734 Comm: qemu-kvm Kdump: loaded Not tainted 6.6.33+ #6
[  464.325477] RIP: 0010:__get_user_pages+0x423/0x520
[  464.325515] Call Trace:
[  464.325520]  <TASK>
[  464.325523]  ? __get_user_pages+0x423/0x520
[  464.325528]  ? __warn+0x81/0x130
[  464.325536]  ? __get_user_pages+0x423/0x520
[  464.325541]  ? report_bug+0x171/0x1a0
[  464.325549]  ? handle_bug+0x3c/0x70
[  464.325554]  ? exc_invalid_op+0x17/0x70
[  464.325558]  ? asm_exc_invalid_op+0x1a/0x20
[  464.325567]  ? __get_user_pages+0x423/0x520
[  464.325575]  __gup_longterm_locked+0x212/0x7a0
[  464.325583]  internal_get_user_pages_fast+0xfb/0x190
[  464.325590]  pin_user_pages_fast+0x47/0x60
[  464.325598]  sev_pin_memory+0xca/0x170 [kvm_amd]
[  464.325616]  sev_mem_enc_register_region+0x81/0x130 [kvm_amd]

Per the analysis done by yangge, when starting the SEV virtual machine, it
will call pin_user_pages_fast(..., FOLL_LONGTERM, ...) to pin the memory. 
But the page is in CMA area, so fast GUP will fail then fallback to the
slow path due to the longterm pinnalbe check in try_grab_folio().

The slow path will try to pin the pages then migrate them out of CMA area.
But the slow path also uses try_grab_folio() to pin the page, it will
also fail due to the same check then the above warning is triggered.

In addition, the try_grab_folio() is supposed to be used in fast path and
it elevates folio refcount by using add ref unless zero.  We are guaranteed
to have at least one stable reference in slow path, so the simple atomic add
could be used.  The performance difference should be trivial, but the
misuse may be confusing and misleading.

Redefined try_grab_folio() to try_grab_folio_fast(), and try_grab_page()
to try_grab_folio(), and use them in the proper paths.  This solves both
the abuse and the kernel warning.

The proper naming makes their usecase more clear and should prevent from
abusing in the future.

peterx said:

: The user will see the pin fails, for gpu-slow it further triggers the WARN
: right below that failure (as in the original report):
: 
:         folio = try_grab_folio(page, page_increm - 1,
:                                 foll_flags);
:         if (WARN_ON_ONCE(!folio)) { <------------------------ here
:                 /*
:                         * Release the 1st page ref if the
:                         * folio is problematic, fail hard.
:                         */
:                 gup_put_folio(page_folio(page), 1,
:                                 foll_flags);
:                 ret = -EFAULT;
:                 goto out;
:         }

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/[email-masked]/

[[email-masked]: fix implicit declaration of function try_grab_folio_fast]
  Link: https://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-44943 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit 57edfcfd3419 and fixed in 6.6.47 with commit 26273f5f4cf6
	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit 57edfcfd3419 and fixed in 6.10 with commit f442fa614137

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-44943
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	mm/gup.c
	mm/huge_memory.c
	mm/internal.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/26273f5f4cf68b29414e403837093408a9c98e1f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f442fa6141379a20b48ae3efabee827a3d260787