Subject: CVE-2024-41038: firmware: cs_dsp: Prevent buffer overrun when processing V2 alg headers

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

firmware: cs_dsp: Prevent buffer overrun when processing V2 alg headers

Check that all fields of a V2 algorithm header fit into the available
firmware data buffer.

The wmfw V2 format introduced variable-length strings in the algorithm
block header. This means the overall header length is variable, and the
position of most fields varies depending on the length of the string
fields. Each field must be checked to ensure that it does not overflow
the firmware data buffer.

As this ia bugfix patch, the fixes avoid making any significant change to
the existing code. This makes it easier to review and less likely to
introduce new bugs.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-41038 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.16 with commit f6bc909e7673 and fixed in 6.1.100 with commit 6619aa48a011
	Issue introduced in 5.16 with commit f6bc909e7673 and fixed in 6.6.41 with commit 76ea8e13aaef
	Issue introduced in 5.16 with commit f6bc909e7673 and fixed in 6.9.10 with commit 014239b9971d
	Issue introduced in 5.16 with commit f6bc909e7673 and fixed in 6.10 with commit 2163aff6bebb

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-41038
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/firmware/cirrus/cs_dsp.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6619aa48a011364e9f29083cc76368e6acfe5b11
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/76ea8e13aaefdfda6e5601323d6ea5340359dcfa
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/014239b9971d79421a0ba652579e1ca1b7b57b6d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2163aff6bebbb752edf73f79700f5e2095f3559e