Subject: CVE-2024-40964: ALSA: hda: cs35l41: Possible null pointer dereference in cs35l41_hda_unbind()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ALSA: hda: cs35l41: Possible null pointer dereference in cs35l41_hda_unbind()

The cs35l41_hda_unbind() function clears the hda_component entry
matching it's index and then dereferences the codec pointer held in the
first element of the hda_component array, this is an issue when the
device index was 0.

Instead use the codec pointer stashed in the cs35l41_hda structure as it
will still be valid.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-40964 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit 7cf5ce66dfda and fixed in 6.6.36 with commit ff27bd8e1788
	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit 7cf5ce66dfda and fixed in 6.9.7 with commit 19be722369c3
	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit 7cf5ce66dfda and fixed in 6.10 with commit 6386682cdc8b

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-40964
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	sound/pci/hda/cs35l41_hda.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ff27bd8e17884f7cdefecb3f3817caadd6813dc0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/19be722369c347f3af1c5848e303980ed040b819
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6386682cdc8b41319c92fbbe421953e33a28840c