Subject: CVE-2024-39474: mm/vmalloc: fix vmalloc which may return null if called with __GFP_NOFAIL

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

mm/vmalloc: fix vmalloc which may return null if called with __GFP_NOFAIL

commit a421ef303008 ("mm: allow !GFP_KERNEL allocations for kvmalloc")
includes support for __GFP_NOFAIL, but it presents a conflict with commit
dd544141b9eb ("vmalloc: back off when the current task is OOM-killed").  A
possible scenario is as follows:

process-a
__vmalloc_node_range(GFP_KERNEL | __GFP_NOFAIL)
    __vmalloc_area_node()
        vm_area_alloc_pages()
		--> oom-killer send SIGKILL to process-a
        if (fatal_signal_pending(current)) break;
--> return NULL;

To fix this, do not check fatal_signal_pending() in vm_area_alloc_pages()
if __GFP_NOFAIL set.

This issue occurred during OPLUS KASAN TEST. Below is part of the log
-> oom-killer sends signal to process
[65731.222840] [ T1308] oom-kill:constraint=CONSTRAINT_NONE,nodemask=(null),cpuset=/,mems_allowed=0,global_oom,task_memcg=/apps/uid_10198,task=gs.intelligence,pid=32454,uid=10198

[65731.259685] [T32454] Call trace:
[65731.259698] [T32454]  dump_backtrace+0xf4/0x118
[65731.259734] [T32454]  show_stack+0x18/0x24
[65731.259756] [T32454]  dump_stack_lvl+0x60/0x7c
[65731.259781] [T32454]  dump_stack+0x18/0x38
[65731.259800] [T32454]  mrdump_common_die+0x250/0x39c [mrdump]
[65731.259936] [T32454]  ipanic_die+0x20/0x34 [mrdump]
[65731.260019] [T32454]  atomic_notifier_call_chain+0xb4/0xfc
[65731.260047] [T32454]  notify_die+0x114/0x198
[65731.260073] [T32454]  die+0xf4/0x5b4
[65731.260098] [T32454]  die_kernel_fault+0x80/0x98
[65731.260124] [T32454]  __do_kernel_fault+0x160/0x2a8
[65731.260146] [T32454]  do_bad_area+0x68/0x148
[65731.260174] [T32454]  do_mem_abort+0x151c/0x1b34
[65731.260204] [T32454]  el1_abort+0x3c/0x5c
[65731.260227] [T32454]  el1h_64_sync_handler+0x54/0x90
[65731.260248] [T32454]  el1h_64_sync+0x68/0x6c

[65731.260269] [T32454]  z_erofs_decompress_queue+0x7f0/0x2258
--> be->decompressed_pages = kvcalloc(be->nr_pages, sizeof(struct page *), GFP_KERNEL | __GFP_NOFAIL);
	kernel panic by NULL pointer dereference.
	erofs assume kvmalloc with __GFP_NOFAIL never return NULL.
[65731.260293] [T32454]  z_erofs_runqueue+0xf30/0x104c
[65731.260314] [T32454]  z_erofs_readahead+0x4f0/0x968
[65731.260339] [T32454]  read_pages+0x170/0xadc
[65731.260364] [T32454]  page_cache_ra_unbounded+0x874/0xf30
[65731.260388] [T32454]  page_cache_ra_order+0x24c/0x714
[65731.260411] [T32454]  filemap_fault+0xbf0/0x1a74
[65731.260437] [T32454]  __do_fault+0xd0/0x33c
[65731.260462] [T32454]  handle_mm_fault+0xf74/0x3fe0
[65731.260486] [T32454]  do_mem_abort+0x54c/0x1b34
[65731.260509] [T32454]  el0_da+0x44/0x94
[65731.260531] [T32454]  el0t_64_sync_handler+0x98/0xb4
[65731.260553] [T32454]  el0t_64_sync+0x198/0x19c

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-39474 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 9376130c390a and fixed in 6.1.95 with commit 198a80833e34
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 9376130c390a and fixed in 6.6.34 with commit c55d3564ad25
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 9376130c390a and fixed in 6.9.5 with commit 758678b65164
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 9376130c390a and fixed in 6.10 with commit 8e0545c83d67

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-39474
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	mm/vmalloc.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/198a80833e3421d4c9820a4ae907120adf598c91
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c55d3564ad25ce87ab7cc6af251f9574faebd8da
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/758678b65164b2158fc1de411092191cb3c394d4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8e0545c83d672750632f46e3f9ad95c48c91a0fc